Up Late Again

Hey moms. I am up late... I am a hapy friendly person during the day, but at night I cannot clear my head of negative thoughts (about my parenting/relationships/work etc) long enough to fall asleep... I have been having troubles only for a week... Any advice???

jhj4ever

Asked by jhj4ever at 12:59 AM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Health

• I just told another poster about liquid b complex. It boost your metabolism, calms anxiety and levels out those pesky mood swings. Children's liquid benadryl will take the edge off of the anxiety and help you relax as long as you are not pregnant or breast feeding.
    always_chris

Answer by always_chris at 1:07 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• That is nice, but I heard some of those things can render bc ineffective? I guess I will call my dr and ask, if it doesnt effect bc then I will deff try thanks so much!
    jhj4ever

Answer by jhj4ever at 1:09 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• benadryl doesnt affect BC
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:21 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I believe you are suffering from situational insomnia. Try writing in a journal all the things that are keeping you mind busy, then make a to-do list for tomorrow of those things that you are worrying about that you can get done tomorrow. Writing things down will help to clear your mind. Situational insomnia can last anywhere from a few days to a few weeks - and is usually caused by stress factors. Keep the lights low in the evenings, keep the bedroom dark and cool, don't exercise in the evening, and try to write every night before bed. Good luck .
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 2:17 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I'm always up late! It really is the same reasons as you describe. It is hard I know and for me anyway I am ready to sleep when the sun starts to rise!! I do try to read though or go to facebook and there is this one game that makes me sleepy sometimes. it's just bubbles and you connect one bubble to the next. When I can afford it I will use Valerian root. I'm not sure if you can use that while breast feeding. I'm just trying to help because I know how stressful it is to not be able to sleep.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:56 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Try some herbal tea, like chamomile or spearmint.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:51 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• try doing a greatful journal, right before bed, you write 5 things that happened that day that you are truly greatful for.... it helps me to focus on the positive things in my life that i am thankful for. also if that doesnt work i would try tylenol pm or another otc sleep med.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 9:58 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• try unisom, one night of it isnt going to get you addicted, its got the lowest side effects and its even safe while pregnant.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 11:49 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Valerian root is fine but it will pass into your breastmilk. That might not be a bad thing. Many of the over the counter infant colic or teething medicine contains valerian. You should certainly ask your doctor first.
    always_chris

Answer by always_chris at 12:26 AM on Sep. 25, 2009