How soon should I start my son on rice cereal?

My mom watches my 2 month old while I work and I found out that she has been giving him rice cereal in bottles and has started him on baby foods. He seems to like it and I haven't noticed anything wrong with him, I was just wondering when you guys started your children on rice cereal and baby foods?

Rowans_Mommy_09

Asked by Rowans_Mommy_09 at 1:21 AM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would not be happy about that. You should only start rice cereal after about 4 months if they are having a problem with the formula and later on to help transition to solids. The transition should take place after 6 months. My son is 7 months and has now transitioned to pureed solids and dissolvable graduates bites. Starting on solids to early can cause food allergies down the road. There is no guarantee an allergy will present itself later but I think better safe than sorry. Good luck in finding a way to present the frustration to the person who has been caring for your child.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 1:54 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• well personally I would have a problem with that, but of course I didn't give bottles and I delayed solids..... not giving solids until they were ready for finger food pretty much. dOctors usually recommend no sooner that 4 months... I still think thats early though.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 1:24 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I think thats a bit early and you're not suppose to put cereal in a bottle. I started rice cereal at 4 months and baby food at 6months. Now at 10 months, she refuses baby food and will only eat finger food.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 1:26 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• i would be pretty upset about that! she didnt even consult you before hand? and of course he enjoys it..it fills his tummy! he doesnt knowgood taste etc.you shouldnt put rice cereal in bottles..i babsit a little girl who is now 5 months old..her parents have been giving her rice cereal in her bottle for months now and shes over weight and fussy and when i have her overnight shes soused to cereal in the bottle that she cries and cries until shegets it which menas more waking because she is lacking the actual nutrients in the formula..sorry for the run on but what im trying t say is its not good!i would tell her to stop. its not good for your baby
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 2:03 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• That's just not right. Talk to your pediatrician about it and see what he has to say about it. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be too happy about it. You need to wait and talk to his doctor before you do this again or let anyone else do it for that matter. It could mess up his body for life. He needs his nutrients from breastmilk or formula, not cereal or baby food. It's worth it to spend more time feeding then to spend time in the hospital. Just saying.
    HisMommy414

Answer by HisMommy414 at 4:24 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I'd be pretty pissed. You don't seem to be though, so I guess do what feels right to you.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:04 AM on Sep. 24, 2009