Childrens consignment shop...what do you look for when shopping at one?

What would draw you in to shop at a children's consignment store or gently used second hand shop? Decor? Brands? Prices? Variety of products? I need feedback from as many moms as possible, a friend of mine is starting her own shop and has asked for my help in getting it set up.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:48 AM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Shopping

• In my little town one just started up a year ago and I am impressed with the variety and frequent sales. I do take my kids clothes in as well as mens clothes in and guess what? the mens shirts FLY off the shelf!! So do the teens clothes my little boys clothes aren't selling so fast. Toys and baby equipment is always in demand.Name brand and gently used but at a fair price, is what I like to see.
    Here are the owners rule's
    she takes my stuff, anything I give her she will try to sell. She takes 40% and I get the rest after 60 days she gives it back or donates it to charity. Then on the first of the month she sends me a check and a list of what was sold plus the amount she kept.
    When I shop in there I like to be left along. The owner has an employee that talks way too much!
    The music is light and the store always smells good, lol, Oh and she has too "open" signs..it helps if both sings are on
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 2:05 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Quality of the merchandise and good organization. I've been to a few consignment shops that are so packed full of used crappy looking clothing and toys that I just turn around and leave. Why bother? I could have found the same stuff at yard sales...

Seriously, cleanliness is the key for me. Then I would say that variety of products and good prices are next.
    jacobsmom707

Answer by jacobsmom707 at 1:59 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Another thing don't have the clothing racks too close together. Leave enough space for shopper's to move around each other and put their baby carriers down.
    also do not over stuff racks. nothing is worse then over jammed racks of clothing,
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 2:08 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• organization. don't pack things in, if its packed and crowded in any store i don't want to spend the time moving a million things to get to the right size that i want. so even if she has the stock, don't put it all out if it makes it too crowded. name brand, cleanliness in the store (even if the product is clean if the store looks like crap i'll assume the rest is crap)
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:08 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I like once upon a child.
    We go to an exclusive area. It's like our little "beverly hills" LOL.
    I look for good brand names and things that are gentely used. I find things w/tags still on them often,they cost a bit more but much less than brand new!
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 7:01 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Brand names and prices. I mean I want that Ralph Lauren pants but if they are in a secong Hand store I don't want to pay more then $5 for them.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 7:19 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Mostly, smell. if the place stinks like old closets, i walk right back out.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:36 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Organization, Decor and Smell are my top ones. If it's unorganized and trashy looking and smells yucky, then I won't shop there no matter how good the merchandise or prices are.

Variety, brands and prices are number 2.

Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 7:47 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• cleanliness is one. And over stuffed racks. Also ive been to one that is so crowded with crap that i can not bring in a stroller. If i cant bring my kids in then i wont go there. Price is a big one. I understand that name brands will cost a bit more but when someones trying to sell a faded very used dress for 12 bucks just because its gymboree, i walk out and never come back. I can get brand new name brands cheaper at the local outlet mall. Also there is nothing i hate seeing more, then used old expired carseats in a resale store. If your going to go into the resell business, then educate yourself on what your selling to make sure that everything is safe and not recalled. Even clothing has recalls.
    cudybug

Answer by cudybug at 7:48 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• The price, I'd rather go to the thrift stores.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:01 AM on Sep. 24, 2009