How can I motivate my son to stay in school?

The deal was if you continue your college education, you can live with me and you also need to find a job. Here it is only Setpember and he dropped one of the two classes he had. He never applies for jobs - he will go to interviews if I have done the leg work as far as submitting the applications. Is sending him to JobCorps my only option besides kicking him to the street. I am a single mom and the father does not want him to live with his family.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:53 AM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• with me, i needed to find something i LOVED before i was motivated to do good. i took intro to sociology and i knew that was what i was meant to do... it may just be a matter or finding what he wants to do with his life
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 1:57 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Charge him rent!
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 2:09 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• What else is out there but school. There are no jobs out there. That is what I told my 18yo dd who is going to college kicking and screaming. But my children learned a work eithic years ago. They all had chores and started either working or volunteering as young teens. She has a job because she likes the better things. We provide her living she pays for gas and manicures, she also goes to the grocery store sometimes and pays. She knows she is part of a family and does her part.
    Vivian63

Answer by Vivian63 at 2:26 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• school isnt always for everyone, but he should atleast be looking for a way of income.. you know the national guard and army have some great things going on right now maybe ask him to look into that? thats not always for everyone either though just give him some time to catch up on who he is and what he reaaally wants to do :-) in the mean time he needs to be helping support his little butt in your home so he should be looking for a job!!!!
    armymum1013

Answer by armymum1013 at 3:52 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• If he wont get a job suggest he go into the military because then he wont be homeless when you kick his lazy but out. Adult kids NEED to learn responsibility not reliance on mushy parents. Kick him out and let him figure it out on his own. You did your job. The law says at 18 your on your own.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:23 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Have his father give him a talking, just a man to man conversation on where he wants to go in life.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:05 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• vbruno the law says you can kill abort babies too so even though 18 seems to be some kind of magic number to some parenting never stops. As far as the military its not what it used to be. I am so glad God has given opportunity for my children to go to college. They know that they need to work even if part time. The Bible says if you dont work you dont eat, so they work.
    Vivian63

Answer by Vivian63 at 6:22 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• If your son is over 18, give him a choice. Either work full time and help out with expenses at home, or go to college full time. Do not enable him otherwise you will live to regret it.
    poohbear04433

Answer by poohbear04433 at 7:39 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Ask him how good the military is looking to him?

Answer by admckenzie at 12:56 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• My son is 19 and struggle with college too. I think the first post on here was dead on.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Sep. 26, 2009