I am worried about my dog....

I have a mastiff. Lately she has been peeing whenever she lays down and goes to sleep or gets really relaxed. She also has difficulty standing up from a laying down position. We are calling the vet tomorrow, and wrote to the breeder, but I am hoping to get some information. I am really worried. Anyone have any idea what this could be?

Petie

Asked by Petie at 2:18 AM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Pets

• Could be anything from a UTI to a weak muscle from being spayed. Has she been spayed recently?
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 2:27 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Depends also on how old the dog is. If she's older, it could just be age. If she's young, it could be a UTI like PaceMyself said, or it could be something neurological, or psychological. Have you been changing a lot of different things lately? I know my friends' cat just started peeing everywhere because they're moving; animals know when something's going on.
    GL!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 2:32 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• She is almost 3 and she was spayed at 1 yr. old.

So basically, the vet is the only one who can tell, right? GGGRRR I feel like I'm waiting for one of my kids to have an appt. I am really worried.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 2:43 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I know, Sweetie, I'm sorry. I have a big ole boy Mastiff - he was so sick last year we thought we were gonna lose him - at its worst DH and I sat and held each other and cried together. He's better now - didn't have anything to do with bladder - I'm sure she'll be fine. Dogs can have bladder and kidney problems just like we do - and there are medications for it. They are the biggest, sweetest, most precious-faced dogs I think human eye has ever seen aren't they? I'll say a prayer for her. She's one of God's and He'll know what to do and how to direct the vet.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 2:57 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I was going to say old age, but I just saw that he is 3. Take him to the vet. I just hope it is not bad news.
    We where going to put my baby down because he could not get up and pee outside and stop eating, but he died the night before we where going to take him in. It was old age.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 5:19 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• hmm Maybe Hip Dislpaysia? (sp?) It may be so painful to stand up that she just pees where she is. Good luck!
    Elijahsmommy9

Answer by Elijahsmommy9 at 5:28 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• It sounds like she could be incontanant. It happens when they get old but sometimes it happens because they have been spayed. I would have the vet do a urinalysis to see if she may have a bladder infection though. If it is incontanance there is medication she can take. My dog had it in her old age and only had to take meds once a week to control it.

I would plan on having x-rays done because it could be her hips or knees giving her problems. This is very common especially in these big breeds. YOu should probably look into putting her on Glucosimine because that will help her joints.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 5:56 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• The breeder just e-mailed me back and she is concerned that it is her hips. We are actually hoping that maybe it is a back injury that is pinching a nerve, that was her other thought. And at least that one can be fixed. But if it's her hips it doesn't look good. She was so sweet and so concerned, but she too is waiting for the appt. We take her in on tue. So I will probably start another post then to let everyone know what the vet said.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 9:15 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• If it turns out to be hip dysplasia, they can do surgery on it to help her. It depends on how bad it is. I have known several dogs that have had it done and have done extremely well. Glucosime and arthritis meds will help her.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 10:46 PM on Sep. 24, 2009