Flu shot? (New York)

My doc said its very important to get the vaccine this year because the flu can be fatal in pregnancy... The thing is that side effects aren't really known. I haven't had the flu in 3-4 years, this without the vaccine.
Im not sure if I should get it done or skip it and just take really good care of myself this winter, since I haven't had the flu in so long anyway, I figure my chances are slim of getting it this winter.
What's your opinion on this?

youngfirsttimer

Asked by youngfirsttimer at 2:33 AM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I am in the same boat as you. I rarely get sick and have had the flu maybe 1-2 times in my life. but my doc told me that they recommend it because the flu can be fatal during pregnancy and your immune system is suppressed a bit during pregnancy. so since I am in an area that is so highly traveled by people from all over the world, I live in hawaii, then i will get it. she said that the one they use for pregnant women doesn't contain a live virus like some that they use normally and there isn't a risk to the baby.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 4:10 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• The flu shot only protects you for certain strains of the flu, NOT ALL of them. Being preggo I would NOT get the shot as they DONT know the effects to the fetus. Just take really good care of yourself and wash your hands often and avoid sick people or high risk places of getting sick. Like crowded malls and the grocery store where you should wipe the cart with a sanatizing wipe before you touch it.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:59 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• If you chose to get it, make sure you get the one WITHOUT thimerosal. Thimerosal is a mercury type preservative that can cause brain damage or heavy metal poisoning. Demand to see the vials and the expiration date and write down the LOT # BEFORE you get it.

I chose not to get the flu shot for my pregnancy. I am taking Lysine supplements which are natural anti-virals. Lysine is an amino acid your body already makes.

Study at UVA found that hand sanitizers SPREAD the flu virus. They are only effective against cold germs. Carry an emergency bottle of water and soap in your car for hand washing. Wet wipes, the soap kind, not the alcohol kind, are better than hand sanitizer says this study. Wiping removes more flu virus. It is not as good as hand washing.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:25 PM on Sep. 24, 2009