to doula or not to doula?

I just found out that I can get a doula through my practitioner's office at no cost to me because my husband is deployed (fyi military moms-they cover all 50 states and all branches of service, message me if you want the info!). But my question is, should I sign up for one or not? for one thing, I am not entirely sure what they do. I know they provide labor support, but what exactly does that mean? So, for you ladies that have had a doula in the past, is it something you recommend? And what did they do for you, like what types of services do they provide?

rhianna1708

Asked by rhianna1708 at 4:05 AM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• DOULA! GO WITH A DOULA! I wanted a natural birth and my doula was awesome. She made sure my birth was exactly as I wanted it without overshadowing my husband. Since yours is deployed, you should DEFINITELY get one, whether you want a natural birth or not.

jlry_ldy

Answer by jlry_ldy at 5:36 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• What is a doula?

The word "doula" comes from the ancient Greek meaning "a woman who serves" and is now used to refer to a trained and experienced professional who provides continuous physical, emotional and informational support to the mother before, during and just after birth; or who provides emotional and practical support during the postpartum period.

Studies have shown that when doulas attend birth, labors are shorter with fewer complications, babies are healthier and they breastfeed more easily.

A Birth Doula

Recognizes birth as a key experience the mother will remember all her life
    Understands the physiology of birth and the emotional needs of a woman in labor
    Assists the woman in preparing for and carrying out her plans for birth
    jlry_ldy

• Stays with the woman throughout the labor
    Provides emotional support, physical comfort measures and an objective viewpoint, as well as helping the woman get the information she needs to make informed decision
    Facilitates communication between the laboring woman, her partner and her clinical care providers
    Perceives her role as nurturing and protecting the woman's memory of the birth experience
    Allows the woman's partner to participate at his/her comfort level
    A birth doula certified by DONA International is designated by the initials CD(DONA).

Research evidence shows that the quality services of a postpartum doula can ease the transition that comes with the addition of a baby to a family, improve parental satisfaction and reduce the risk of mood disorders.
    jlry_ldy

• Doula - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A doula is an assistant who provides various forms of non-medical and non-midwifery support (physical and emotional) in the childbirth process. ...
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doula
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:39 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Doulas of North AmericaDONA International is the oldest, largest and most respected doula association in the world. Our founders are among the foremost experts on doula care, ...

vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:40 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Doulas take care of you. Since your DH is away, she'll be a great help. She can do things like bring you food or help you get to the bathroom. She'll advocate for you. Some doulas can help with children, organize the family, some even come out to the house and help post partum. Things like cooking and laundry even!! Ask what services are available with the doula service. Worst case scenario, you'll have someone non-medical being kind to you at your delivery. Free is good!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:19 PM on Sep. 24, 2009