A world first: Vaccine helps prevent HIV infection

BANGKOK – For the first time, an experimental vaccine has prevented infection with the AIDS virus, a watershed event in the deadly epidemic and a surprising result. Recent failures led many scientists to think such a vaccine might never be possible.

The World Health Organization and the U.N. agency UNAIDS said the results "instilled new hope" in the field of HIV vaccine research.

The vaccine — a combination of two previously unsuccessful vaccines — cut the risk of becoming infected with HIV by more than 31 percent in the world's largest AIDS vaccine trial of more than 16,000 volunteers in Thailand, researchers announced Thursday in Bangkok.

What do you think?

I dont think Id ever take a shot like that . It would freak me ou tto bad LOL.
Ill just stick to my husband for sex LOL

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:06 AM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:06 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• No i would never get it. I wouldnt sleep with someone that has HIV even if i did have the shot. i think the shot is pointless unless it helped people that already had HIV.
    BUT if u were to get pregnant with a baby and have HIV they have something so the baby doesnt get it. im not sure where they have it. i dont have hiv so i dont know much about anything lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:14 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• thats good i guess.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 8:38 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I would never get a shot to help prevent that when I can prevent it myself by not sleeping around and also knowing my partners before hand. However, I'm married and know that my husband is clean because the military checks them every 6months. Also when you get a shot you are getting a dose of the virus so I wouldn't trust it in any kind of way.
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 8:57 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• usmc
    Do you know that there are other ways to get HIV?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• iT IS A GREAT NEWS!
    Anonymous

• Unsafe sex with infected partners cause about 75% of cases of AIDS, the rest are non-sterile hypodermic syringes/needles and children born to infected mothers. There are always a few cases each year from random mishaps of strange types.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:40 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Considering the large amount of people infected with AIDS worldwide, this is extremely good news. Some countries in Africa have a life expectancy of 40, and over half their population is under 20. Parents are dying and leaving more orphaned children than the community can take in.  It's really sad.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:51 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Yes I do know there are other ways of getting HIV, however, I don't work in the medical field therefore I could only get infected by intercourse..thank you. I also don't donate blood or get any kind of transfusions, nor do I have any tattoos or do drugs, nor do I get my milk from a woman's breast. Oh and I don't drink 3gallons of silva either.
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 1:05 PM on Sep. 24, 2009