How do I get my 5 yr old daughter to sleep in her bed all night?

My 5 yr old daughter gets out of bed in the middle of the night and likes to sleep on the floor in my room. There are nights when she will sleep in her bed all night but most nights she comes into my room. She goes as far as being rude, demanding, bossy and cries. She'll say, "Get my pillow and blanket....I want to sleep here". I even go as far as even bribing her but she will still get up several times during the night, I will walk her back to her room. So, she can tell me the she is earning her reward for sleeping in her room. Does any one have suggestions???? HELP!!!!

Amanzi

Asked by Amanzi at 8:19 AM on Sep. 24, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Quit giving her rewards. It is not a chore to sleep in your room, it is a requirement. sounds like she is the parent here. No more rewards and when she comes into your room to sleep, she is disciplined. Make sleeping in your room without a good reason (sick, scared of storms) a negative thing rather than to reward for staying in her own. Take away a privilege if she does this.

Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:12 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• We did a reward system for my daughter when she was younger, but she only got the reward if she STAYED in her room. If she came out, no reward.

Answer by missanc at 9:28 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• We know that giving her rewards is not appropriate but that is the only thing that keeps her in bed. They are not big things, it's like her favorite breakfast or dinner the next day, it may even be stay up an extra 1/2 hour. We have taken privileges and things away, she is a strong willed child and nothing bothers her. So, taking stuff from her is a waste of time. We are desperate that why we do rewards. This week she has been at her worse, with the yelling in the middle of the night. We don't want her to wake our other 2 children. We just at our end.
    Amanzi

Answer by Amanzi at 9:28 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• My daughter will get up to tell us that she is earning her reward. We keep telling her if she gets out again she will lose it. But since it's late and she's so tired. She forgets the part where she has to stay in bed. She thinks just as long as she goes back to bed she will still get it. We of course don't give it to her. But it's all we have.
    Amanzi

Answer by Amanzi at 10:35 AM on Sep. 24, 2009