My Baby can read??

Has anyone tried the "My Baby Can Read" program? I am hesitate to purchase it. I have a 9month old and a 3 year old that I would love to give a jump start, but want some honest reviews first.

rawsbabygirl

Asked by rawsbabygirl at 8:26 AM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Reading to and with them is the best thing you can do for your child. I think you can teach memorization very young, but comprehension is totally different and that's the area where teachers are seeing problems today. Most kids can "read" way above their grade level because their parents are pushing them but don't really understand what they are "reading." I would encourage more play, which is how kids learn best anyway.

Answer by missanc at 8:29 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I baby sit for a family that it using it and I have seen differences in it. There LO is 2 now and can do very basic reading and plays with the flash cards. We are going to attempt it as well. My LO brings me books and says "rea"--(read). Just wants me to read anything with words on it. Her pedi told me yesterday that she is exceptionally bright and to make sure that I nurture that. My LO is 15 mos old. It can't hurt and read to them as much as you can even if it is the cereal box. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:31 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I would think that a parent wouldn't need of all the "fancy" things that come with the program.

I mean I would buy index cards!
    bringin

Answer by bringin at 9:11 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Save your money and just read to your child, talk to your child, play with your child. When we're out, I point out letters, read signs, talk about what we see, etc. My 2 yr old learned his letters just by seeing them everywhere! There's plenty of time for formal learning when they're ready for it. If your child is truly gifted and ready to learn, it will happen without buying any expensive products.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 10:38 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I just can't buy into any program that says you should stick your kids in front of the TV everyday. I agree with other moms that advise to read to your kids. They will benefit just as much and appreciate that time with you. There is no proof that kids who read early do better in school later or find more success in life.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 5:40 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I asked my mom about this becasue she majored in early childhood education and has taught 1st and 2nd grade. Her vote was no and that is more memorization. Also I agree with other posts, what can this do that reading and interacting with your child can't?
    Liz0808

Answer by Liz0808 at 10:32 PM on Sep. 26, 2009