Has anyone heard of a 7 year old getting detention for have trouble paying attention in school?

I thought you had to throw stuff and be very disruptive in school to get a detention?My daughter came home yest and was crying because the reading teacher and her teacher were talking in front of her and mentioning about giving her a detention for not paying attention.The teacher did call me the day before to tell me of her not focusing and not answering questions appropriately and playing with her pen too much and she said we would try to work together for 2 weeks to get her on track.But then they talk in front of her the next day and say about a detention!!And she was crying last night about not wanting to go to school. I have taken her video game away as a punishment and she understands this.I wrote her teacher a letter telling her about Carley being upset and Im upset too!I told her teacher she got candy at parade over weekend and this affects her and I have hid the candy also.My little one says she wants to do good.HELP!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:39 AM on Sep. 24, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• They really should have discussed this out of her hearing and then discussed it with you if you had an agreement of 2 weeks. What they did was bully your child.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:58 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Have you had your daughter tested for ADD? It took me awhile, about 6 years in fact, of punishing my child for what he was doing at school. Finally, he broke down and cried that he just couldn't help what he did. A trip to the psychiatrist confirmed my suspicion that he was ADD and with the right meds my son is an entirely different child.

I wish everyday I could take back the years of me yelling and punishing him and the teachers hating having him in class.

Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 10:53 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Teachers like to believe kids can't understand what they're talking about. I had a teacher do this in 1st grade, and boy was I upset when they were discussing stuff right there in front of the whole class - I guess they thought we were young and dumb and couldn't understand what they were talking about.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I can do you one better, my 7 year old was removed from school for showing signs of autism i.e. hitting himself under pressure, being hard to deter from a set idea and some talking.
    gonefishin

Answer by gonefishin at 2:30 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

• My kid never pays attention in class, and for some reason he still does really well on all his assignments, when he finishes them. He was ruled out for add or adhd or any other mental illness. I think he's not being challenged enough and he's bored. I'm still trying to figure it out.
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 11:31 PM on Sep. 26, 2009