What did your parents NOT do for you that you want to make sure to do for your kids?

My parents didn't teach me the value of good hygiene. I went through the "I won't take a bath, I won't I won't I won't!" phase, and instead of pushing me through it, they just shrugged and said "Okay!" I've since changed my ways (of course), but it caused me a lot of tears as a kid.

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 9:04 AM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My child will know he's loved and supported and never have to question that.
    trevsrockinmom

Answer by trevsrockinmom at 9:06 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I want to be more involved while she is in school. My mom was a single parent and had to choose between work and school events. She chose work so that she could provide. I have a little luxury in that dept and so I want to be more involved.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:07 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• My mother never hugged or told me she loved me nor did my father.I make SURE that I will ALWAYS tell my daughter that,and she knows that she has 2 parents that really love her
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 9:08 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• My father had custody of me and I rarely saw my mom. When my dad wasn't working he spent the weekends partying. I always wanted to be a SAHM because of this. I got so tired of being stuck at daycare or with some random person he'd just met afterschool or his drug dealer's girlfriend or my alcoholic grandmother and then finally by myself. I want to see my kids off to school and be home when they get there. There are a multitude of other things but this is at the top. Most of all I want to set a good example for my son and not go the whole "do as I say not as I do" as I was told repeatedly.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 9:14 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Talk to ,listend to me be with me hug me encourage me treat me as a human
    protect me from predetors
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• my parents didnt really teach me how to make friends so i had no idea, went to the same school for k-12 so i did have friends, but they really didnt teach me how to be outgoing, speak up for myself, assumed i was fine socially because i was assertive to them.... i do better with my son in that regard and dont assume he knows everything naturally.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 9:54 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• My parents did nothing for me. I had a rapist father and an abusive mother. I'm going to give my daughter the best life ever. And I'll be there for her through boy troubles, school, stress. I'm going to make sure she knows I love her and I want to see her happy. She's 5months old
    MissKellee

Answer by MissKellee at 9:59 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• My mother was the best, she taught me everything I know, but we never baked together..I know sounds silly,but that's what mothers are suppose to do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Continue____so I make sure I have my DD's and DS bake with me all the time.
    Anonymous

• My mom was a single mom, and so am I. I know my mom did her best but there are things her mom didnt teach her and she must have never missed. I am making sure no matter what, my kids are invovled in activities. My kids hear and feel my love everyday. My toddler and i will randomly say "guess what, I love you" thru-out the day. My soon to be 13yrold still holds my hand and lays her head on my lap as we watch tv, but she is not scared to run to the mall, or go skating all day alone. My kids know i love them even if we fight or disagree. and they know they can talk to me about anything without me being judgemental, but will give them honest advice and tell them my own mistakes and accomplishements in life.
    roxyann76

Answer by roxyann76 at 10:17 AM on Sep. 24, 2009