Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I break up with my pediatrician?

When we first moved here we picked a pediatrician soley based on recommendations. We've been going there several months and are not really happy. The doctoer is pretty good, but her offices is 20 miles away. She also has a private home practice and does not have a lot of the things that we got used to at a big group practice. I want to change doctors, but I don't want to just stop showing up. How do we end this relationship in a good way?

Answer Question

Asked by lvaughn26 at 9:43 AM on Sep. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 6 (115 Credits)
Answers (11)
  • What's the big deal about just not going there anymore? It's not like you have a personal relationship with each other, she's your pediatrician.

    Answer by KalebsMommee at 9:44 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

  • Oh and chances are you are just another patient to her and she won't even realize if you just stop showing up. You will however have to get your child's records sent over to the new office, but they usually do that at the new office themselves.

    Answer by KalebsMommee at 9:45 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

  • I agree with the first pp. But, if you do want to let your Dr know, you can just say something along the lines of "We've really appreciated the level of care you're given our child, but we think right now we would prefer to find a Dr closer to our home, and one that's part of a larger practice so there's more Dr's on call if an emergency arises."

    Leave it at that, because as the pp said, it's a professional relationship, it's not a personal one, so you don't really owe them a whole lot of explanations and closure so to speak.

    Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:48 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

  • When I am not happy with a service (does not matter what kind of service). I just stop going there and go somewhere else. I did the same thing about a year ago. Didn't like the doctor I picked when we first moved to the town we live in now. We just changed doctors, never went back to the old one


    Answer by louise2 at 9:49 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

  • I know how you feel! I have been thinking of changing doctors for a while now and didn't know how to do it. I lucked out, my ped is leaving town. I agree that you should go ahead and check out the new ped that you want to go to then when you are sure that you want to make the switch call the ped's office (or go see them) and let them know that you have been happy with them but you have decided that you want a ped a little closer to home and/or at a bigger practice. Ask that you medical records be sent on to your new ped.

    Answer by Katysmom at 9:53 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

  • Thanks ladies. I guess I've been apprehensive about leaving because my DD has been diagnosed with Rickets and is receiving on-going care, and I'm afraid if we leave we will be starting all over again. I will be getting a new doctor. Winter is coming and I'm expecting in December. No way can I be hauling 2 babies 20 miles to see the doctor. Once we find someone I think I'll just call and let the office now we have found someone closer.

    Answer by lvaughn26 at 9:58 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

  • You just call the office an request that your records are sent to the new office.

    Answer by rkoloms at 10:38 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

  • just find a new docter for ur baby,they will contact ur old docter and she will know

    Answer by angelairelan at 10:40 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

  • I have medicaid, so my choice was based on that. I didn't like the first dr we were going to. So after a few months I called medicaid and switched drs. The old office called me to ask why and I flat out told them that I felt that my children weren't getting the best care. You may tell them if you feel the need to say why, that you prefer some one in a group practice, closer to where you live

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

  • Are you dating? You want to break up with your pediatrican? LOLOLOL.....oh my,I can't believe the stuff I read here at CM.
    Just call the office and have the records sent to a new Doctor ....good luck with the break up.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.