• In the Spotlight:

C-SECTION OR VAGINAL DELIVERY?

WHICH DID YOU HAVE? WHICH HAS A MORE PAINFUL RECOVERY? WHICH WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE?

TashaMarie349

Asked by TashaMarie349 at 10:05 AM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I would rather have a vag, which is what I had. A c-section is a surgery no matter how you look at it. I would only have a c-section if it was medically necessary.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:10 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Vaginal is the way to go in my book, recovery was days not weeks. I could stand up, not splint to couch or sneeze etc. C- section is major abdominal surgery, if you can avoid it, try to. All 3 of my kids were vaginal births.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 10:11 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• c-section recovery is much longer and more painful.

c-section is much more dangerous for mom and baby so i would never choose that unless absolutely necessary. i used to think anyone who even thought about c-section without being absolutely necessary was crazy but now i think it's because of all the monitors and tying down they do to you at a hospital and don't let you just have a normal birth, move around, deal with the pain. hospitals sometimes set you up for a bad experience so you have to do your research ahead of time to make sure you can get a normal vaginal birth. sad but true imo.

CONTINUES
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• CONTINUED

i would prefer by 1000x to have a NORMAL vaginal delivery without anything tying me down so i could move all around, get in the water, etc. i would actually prefer to have a homebirth but that's very difficult in my state so i'm researching the hospital here and hoping "normal" birth is possible here...

good luck! please research the risks of c-section. A GREAT starting point is the book "PUHSED" BY JENNIFER BLOCK.
    Anonymous

• btw i did have a natural birth at a hospital and it was a great experience so i don't want you to be too worried but you want to make sure you have a good provider, that was my point. someone who is supportive of letting your body do what it's made to do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I have had both. My first was c-section and my second was vaginal. C-section was more painfull, took longer to recover. I prefer vaginal dilivery.

Answer by louise2 at 10:17 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I had vaginal births and although they weren't fun at ALL, was much better than c-section
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:36 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I don't think that you should have the option of having a c-section if you've never had to have one or it's not medically necessary. Nature ment for babies to come out vaginally, and some of us can't do that for what ever reason, there's no shame in that. I wanted a vbac but my dr was unwilling because of the risks involved. In the end it was probly for the best because my water broke and I showed no sign of labor, They monitored me from moring til afternoon when my dr could do the c-section and I just sat with my water broke. I'm afraid that I would have done the same as with my first, stop dialiating.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I've had both - 3 vaginal and 1 c-section, so I actually KNOW what it's like. The c-section was MUCH easier, I went in knowing when I was going and had a chance to find childcare for my other 3 children that wasn't last minute (very important for my oldest, he has autism), and I was able to do some planning.
    I had an extremely difficult 1st vaginal delivery (baby got stuck in my birth canal and they had to break his shoulder to get him out), and I was in the hospital longer with him than I was with the Csection so the recovery from that was not great, probably comparable to the Csection. The other two vaginal deliveries were somewhat easier, but they were induced at 38 weeks so they weren't full term.
    If I have a "choice" next time I would rather have a Csection.

Answer by missanc at 11:01 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I had an emergency C-Section and would NEVER have chosen it over a natural vaginal birth. As the other ladies have said, the recovery is long and painful. A C-Section is treated anymore like a routine procedure, but it isn't....it's a major surgery!
    sophiafarris

Answer by sophiafarris at 11:03 AM on Sep. 24, 2009