how do you and spouse split bills?

hello, do u and spouse split all bills? do u have joint account or seperate? does whoever make more, get more, or do you pay all the bills together and split 50/50 whatever is left for "fun money." If you have step kids do u both pay for them out of joint account, or does whoever's children they are pay for their own child support or things their children need. Hubby and I are trying to figure out how to manage our money and who should pay for what so just wondering what everyone else does. Especially wondering if there is a big difference in money (he makes more then me, i make minimum wage and we own a house)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My husband and I have always shared the responsibility of the bills no splitting we have an account together and all the money goes into the "pot". Once the bills are paid whatever is left over is for the family to use for whatever. I have a step daughter that I've helped him raise since she was 2, I have a son that he's helped me raise since he was 21/2 and all their expenses are the same as the bills, if they need it, it comes out of the same money. I don't think there's ever been a good reason to even think about splitting our money. Its a personal reference I guess sometimes it works better for couples to keep track of their own finances.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 10:43 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• We don't split our bills. He gives me his check every Friday. I get paid bi-weekly. When I get paid, the utility bills and the mortgage gets paid, and I also get groceries that week. His check pays daycare, school expenses, gas, etc.
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 10:44 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Hub and I have always had a joint account, we are married, we are a couple, we are partners, therfore our bills are our bills.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:44 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Regardless whether I was working or not all our funds go in a joint account. All family bills are paid from it. We have never done the "i pay for this You pay for that" There was about 6 years that We took my checks and just put them in savings. My husbands check paid all the regular bills, luxuries came out of my check. Things like my sons braces, vacations trips, movies...stuff like that.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:45 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I'm a SAHM, and he pays all the bills, we do have a joint account. When I start working, I will pay childrens school tuition's, and he will handle the rest. He make a whole lot more than me, about 60k more a year..I will be making about 45k
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Our money that we earn goes in to our joint account. It's used to pay the bills, to buy groceries and to do things with as a family. There's no mine, yours here.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I'm a SAHM so my dh pays all the bills, including those for my 3 kids from my first marriage. When my ex was paying child support, the check was deposited into my account so I would use that to buy their clothes, school supplies, extracurricular activities, etc and occasionally a small bill or two (water or trash) but now dh pays for everything out of our joint account.
    I wait tables Fri nights for fun and with my tips I pay for odds and ends during the week (a treat for the kids after bball practice, a shirt on sale on Target, etc).

Answer by missanc at 10:51 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I am a SAHM but even when I worked we put both of our checks in the same account and everything was paid out of there. When we got married, the "separate" stuff stopped. We are one now, a unit, a team...NOT room mates.

abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 10:53 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• We have all of our money in a joint account and I am a SAHM but even when I was working this is how we did it We pay all of our bills that fall into that pay period and then we use whtever is left together to do things like get groceries and gas and such. However when my husband is on deployment he is limited to $50 per pay period for his own spending cash but that is because I have to take care of the children and all he has to do is buy himself soap and stuff.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• i am a SAHM currently, but when i was working our money all went into the same account. Everything is ours together. I think that if you are married and seperating things, that it is childish and maybe you arn't ready for marraige.
    NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy

Answer by NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy at 10:56 AM on Sep. 24, 2009