When do you think it's appropriate for a child to stop taking showers with their mom?

Does it depend on the sex of the child? The age? When they are aware of body parts? Just curious what others thought!

bethany_smith

Asked by bethany_smith at 10:41 AM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Just for Fun

• you should stop when you can't sqeeeeeze that prego belly and gwennie in there at the same time lol love ya girl!

p.s- arriell is almost 5 and i still take showers with her. she sees it a special mommy/daughter time and loves it. would never do it with a son of that age though
    mystichydra

Answer by mystichydra at 11:40 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I think that is a very personal issue that only the parents of each child can determinate because there are too many variables to consider. My suggestion is do what you feel is best for your child because every family routine and dynamics are unique to their situation.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 10:49 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I was going to post this question last night!

My daughter is almost ten months old, and while she does take baths by herself (not completely alone!), we often hold her in the shower. For me, it is kind of a replacement "skin-to-skin time" since I was only able to breastfeed for three weeks. However, I have started to wonder when we should stop this practice. My family was never one to teach children that nudity was wrong or shameful, but these days....people are always looking at these things in a perverse manner.
    EternalChild86

Answer by EternalChild86 at 10:57 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I personally think that once the child is over a year, they shouldn't take showers or baths with the parent of the opposite sex. However, with the same sex, I think that once the child starts talking and can tell people.. "Mommy has this, or daddy has that," then it should stop.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I did take baths every now and then with my son until he started talking and becoming aware of body parts.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I, too, think that it's very personal. I think that each family is different and there isnt a magic age.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 11:23 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Well my girls took baths with their dad until they were 4 because they asked the "whats that" question. That was a good sign it was time for that era to end. But as for me my girls still shower with me occationally if we are in hurry or if they just want quallity time. To me the body is not a "bad" thing and we don't care to walk from point A to point B naked. So we are probably not the "norm".
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 11:42 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• You're such a dork Rachel! lol
    bethany_smith

Answer by bethany_smith at 1:41 PM on Sep. 24, 2009