Gay marriage is socialism now too?

Congressman: Gay Marriage Is "Socialism"

The push for marriage equality is part of a radical socialist agenda, according to Congressman Steven King, a Republican from Iowa.

In an extreme formulation of a tired antigay argument, Rep. Steve King (pictured) of Iowa said that same-sex marriage is a “purely socialist concept” during an interview with a conservative radio network on Wednesday.

King, a Republican who represents the 5th congressional district, spoke with Greg Corumbus of Radio America for World Net Daily about his concern that congressional Democrats and the Obama administration are “pushing closer and closer” to repeal of the Defense of Marriage Act.

Unsatisfied with comparing the prospect of same-sex marriage to the legalization of incest, as opponents such as former Senator Rick Santorum have done, King said he wanted to “take this along the rationale even further.”

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 10:43 AM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• what a complete LOSER! Obviously this man knows that a lot of Americans are scared of the word Socialism. That's the only reason why he used that word, to further scare people from the idea of legalizing gay marriage. socialism & gay marriage have nothing to do w/ one another, anyone w/ even part of a brain should be able to figure that out.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:54 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2009/09/23/Congressman__Same-sex_Marriage_is_Socialism/

These are our ELECTED OFFICIALS!
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:44 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• “If relationships between individuals cannot be prohibited by the state legislature, then there’s no ban that can actually be constitutional that would ban group marriage and it wouldn’t have to be for reasons of, let me say, love or lust, it could be reasons of profitability or avoiding taxes or accessing benefits,” King said.

“So in the end, this is something that has to come with a, if there’s a push for a socialist society, a society where the foundations of individual rights and liberties are undermined and everybody is thrown together living collectively off one pot of resources earned by everyone, this is one of the goals they have to go through is same-sex marriage because it has to plow through marriage in order to get to their goal,” he said.

“Not only is it a radical social idea, it is a purely socialist concept in the final analysis,” King said.
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:45 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I see where he is coming from kinda... but I think that there isn't much to get out of it. I highly doubt two men or two women would spend their time getting married just for tax advantages.... but even so, wouldn't heterosexuals be able to do that too? And I am strongly opposed to gay marriage, but weird argument.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 10:51 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

No one can, because its a contract between TWO people and it has zero to do with socialism. straight ppl get married everyday for reasons other than love and yet, they are still able to do it
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:55 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I'm %100 in support of gay marriage. Anyone who isnt needs to MYOB.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:55 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

good

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:56 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

I support gay marriage also. I did not support the other agenda behind gay marriage in Cali. Here in Iowa there is no other agenda. It is about gay marriage. They are not going to teach children their parents are bigots if they are Christian. When we lived in Cali my son was taught that. He came home and told me I was a bigot for being a Christian(he was pulled from that school and sent to private school) I have a gay brother we are very close. I don't agree with his lifestyle and worry for his soul but I love him and would never be unkind to him. We have learned to agree to disagree on things. We both show tolerance for one anothers views.

I think this Congressman is a bit out there. He has a right to his own views. The people can choose to vote for him or someone else.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• *shrug* I don't get his argument at all. I support gay marriage. Don't see why it's such a big deal.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:44 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I agree with mancosmomma. The only time I think ssm would become an issue? Would be if churches were investigated/charged for discriminating~ if they spoke out against ssm or refused to marry a ssm couple. But this politician isn't talking about that.  Otherwise, to each their own. Let the people of Iowa decide if he should be re-elected. He has a right to speak. And his constituents have the power to remove him from office if they don't like what he says.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:12 PM on Sep. 24, 2009