Is it ok to have a glass of wine every once in a while after the first trimester?

I'm 16w 2 d so far and I've been craving wine. I don't want a whole bottle or anything, just about a half a glass every once in a while. There were studies done on HEAVY DRINKERS only when the "no alcohol" rule came out years ago. There wasn't a study done on pregnant women who only had a glass a week so how can there be any scientific proof that alcohol can damage a baby in small amounts?

Turmalla

Asked by Turmalla at 10:48 AM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I wouldn't personally do it but in Europe it is a common practice. Do you think maybe some Sparkling Welch's Grape Juice will satisfy the urge?
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 10:59 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• What the no alcohol proponants will tell you is that there has not been any amount of alcohol that has been proven to be safe. How do you prove that it's safe? How do you prove it's not.

How do you prove small amounts will damage a child? You can't get approval to do a study where you take two groups of pregnant women and give one group small amounts of alcohol and use the other group as a control. That is the only kind of scientific study that could be used as proof.

You can't just ask people how much they drank. It's not scientific enough for scientists.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:00 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• A glass of Red wine from time to time is fine
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I would never risk my child's health..they do make wine that is alcohol free..try that..

http://www.reviewcentre.com/products4587.html
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 1:01 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I was told that even one glass or bottle of beer can harm the child. I wouldn't risk it.
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 9:43 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• In your first trimester, no its not safe. In your thrid, its perfecty fine.. According to my dr anyway
    livingrlovesong

Answer by livingrlovesong at 5:58 AM on Sep. 25, 2009