Did anyone see on the news that some places are requiring the Gardasil vaccine?

I will start by saying that I am a vaccinating mom. I am a nurse, and my grandfather has post-polio syndrome. In general, I believe that benefits from vaccines outweigh the risks. However, the Gardasil vaccine is dangerous. There have been a significant number of deaths and very serious adverse effects already.

I saw a brief story on the news about a British college student who was accepted on the condition that she receive the Gardasil vaccine. She is refusing, stating that she is a Christian and not sexually active. It also violates her beliefs.

I am appalled that this vaccine would be mandatory anywhere! My daughter will not receive a vaccine that has such a poor track record. If it comes down to it, I will pull her out of school and home-school her to avoid it (although she goes to a parochial school, so I'd be surprised if they required it).

Any thoughts?

Iamgr8teful

Asked by Iamgr8teful at 10:54 AM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• My 15 yr old refuses to get it. I won't make her. She did her research and so have I. She has 2 classmates that had seizures immediately after receiving the vaccine. Fortunately they were still in the physician's office at the time it happened. Another friend of hers passed out right after receiving the vaccination. I will not force any of my girls to get the Gardasil vaccine, not with such a poor track record. I too have had stage 3 cervical dysplasia. Because I have regular PAPs it was caught and taken care of. Besides, Gardasil only protects against a few strains of HPV... not all. There's still a risk of getting it. To me that's just not worth all the trouble the vaccine seems to cause. It should definitly not be required... that's just insane.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:07 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• wow! Thank for tha info! I wierd about vaccines. My nephew had a horroble reaction when he was 2. His leg turned purple just hours after one of his vaccinations & he could not move his legs for 2 weeks. Doctors completely denied that it had anything to do w/ vaccines. I did vaccinate my girl, but i waited until she was 4-5 years old to begin.

I did not know about this gardasil vaccine having a bad track record. Last time my girl was vaccinated, they asked if i wanted to give that to her...AT 6 YEARS OLD! WTF! I said NO WAY! But, i did think about it vor when she got older. Doctors really freak you out about HPV. Thanks for the info, i will do a lil more research about it on my own :)
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:01 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Yes, please do check into it. Don't take my word for it. Sorry I don't have a link, and can't look for one now because I have to get dishes done while DS is asleep. You could Google and cross-reference "Gardasil" with "adverse". I think the best thing to do is make sure our kids know the very serious consequences that can come from sex. I will definitely teach them the pros and cons of everything that will be presented to them as "choices", but stress abstinence.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 11:07 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Wow! It's not like there isn't a totally foolproof way not to get HPV to begin with. It's not like Gardisil protects against ebola or something. I think requiring it is going overboard.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:12 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I am appalled that this vaccine would be mandatory anywhere! My daughter will not receive a vaccine that has such a poor track record. If it comes down to it, I will pull her out of school and home-school her to avoid it (although she goes to a parochial school, so I'd be surprised if they required it).

Thanks for the share. I agree with you, OP.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:32 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• The thing is cervical cancer is very easy to treat. It takes a matter of minutes in a doctor's office. Then you have pap smears every 3 months for awhile, then every 6 months, then every year. I had cervical cancer and it was such a "no big deal" I don't say I've had cancer.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:34 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• HPV can and does cause cancer and infertility. If there was a way to protect my daughter from that, I would. You don't need to tell your child what is in every shot they get. If the vaccine is not safe--that is a different matter, but refusing it on religous or moral grounds is very silly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• "refusing it on religous or moral grounds is very silly. "

I disagree. We are allowed religious freedom in this country, and if vaccines are against someone's religion, it's hardly "silly".

I have boys, so the point it moot, but I currently would not get the gardisil vaccine for my daughter. It doesn't appear to be completely safe, and it doesn't prevent ALL sources of cervical cancer. I would prefer to see longer testing.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:42 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Yes, we have religious freedom, so you can do something on religous grounds if you want to...doesn't stop some things being silly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Gailll, I've had it, too. I had stage 3 cervical dysplasia that was caught before it metastasized. The surgery was painful, but I've never had a problem since then. Very important for sexually active girls/women to have their yearly PAPs and pelvis exams! This is something else I will point to as a "con" of being sexually active.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 11:53 AM on Sep. 24, 2009