what age do you move from convertable carseat to a booser carseat

my son turns 4 in December and is 29lb and 37 1/2inches long. I am wondering if he is big enough for a booster seat or if I should hold off till he is bigger

mar1215

Asked by mar1215 at 10:59 AM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• this is going to start the carseat debate,,, just and fyi! that is a little light for a booster, my son is about that size (height) and weighs a little more and he is in a booster, it is so nice not to have to do all those straps!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 12:20 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• It really depended on the child for us. My ss moved to a booster at 4. My oldest moved at 4. For both of them it was their birthday gift. My dd didn't move to a booster until 5 1/2 because she wouldn't sit in the booster properly. We still have a 5 pt. harness for her on bad days. My youngest will probably move up at about 4 1/2 or 5 because of his size. The basic concept is 4 yrs. old AND 40 pds for a booster.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 12:58 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Check the guidelines for YOUR seat. They're not all the same. Most I've seen say booster at 30lbs, I think.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:26 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• u son is tiny omg . my son is 3 and is 40 lbs .. he still in car seat
    ashley_nick30

Answer by ashley_nick30 at 2:36 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• wow my son is 2 1/2 and is 30lbs. still in a car seat.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:09 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• i got my son one of the high back booster seats when he was 3 he fit the height and weight requirements. i love the booster it has a seat belt notch so the belt fits perfectly across his chest i tried the one that didnt have a back but he didnt fit but my 5 yr old ss is in a booster w/o a back and it works good for him. u can always buy someting and put him in it in the seat belt in ur car and if it does not work return it thats how i found out a booster w/o a back was not going to work.
    monroemommyof2

Answer by monroemommyof2 at 3:11 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• this is something to ask his pedi, they will say its all based on weight and hight, not age. so if the pedi thinks he's heavy enought and tall enough go for it.
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 6:10 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• The Law States -4 years AND 40lbs. There should be no rush in putting your child in a booster, its not a milestone, its a step down in safety. Keep him in a 5pt harness for as long as possible mama, its what safest for him. Also, I dont know ANY 4 year old that fits PROPERLY in a booster and is MATURE enough to sit CORRECTLY. Sorry, my 5 year old is very mature and responsible, but Im not gonna put her life in her hands... she is harnessed in a Graco Nautilus and will be for atleast another year. Your son weighs so little that Im sure he has a while before he outgrows the weight limit on his convertible. They all go to 40lbs so atleast keep him harnessed for another 10lbs.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 10:57 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• Oh, and Pediatricians ARE NOT certified carseat safety technicians... would you ask your local car seat tech if your son had the flu? No, because they arent doctors. Vice Versa. Doctors know NOTHING about carseats. Go to the professionals, its what they are for. Cops and Firefighters dont know anything either.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 10:59 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I put my oldest in a booster when he was 4. My youngest is 3, loves to ride in his brother's booster (from our house to a friends, about 4 houses down from mine, don't get on my case!) however he still has his car seat. I'm going to be getting him a booster soon though because he's too big for his car seat----he's 40 pounds now and turned 3 in July.
    lissa27504

Answer by lissa27504 at 12:53 PM on Sep. 25, 2009