39 weeks and so frustrated with cramping. Tried googling it, but found nothing real similar to what I'm feeling.

This last Friday night I got really painful cramping, that felt just like menstrual cramping. It lasted all night and into Saturday. I finally took some tylenol and it felt much better. Since then, I've been getting them more often and alot stronger. I can't time them because they last for hours not minutes. They have been getting worse at night when I try to sleep. They are more than uncomfortable, they are painful. I do not know what contractions feel like, so I can't compare them, but based on what I've read, they do not feel like contractions because they are painful. My doctor doesn't seem to be worried by it. She says it is just part of these last few weeks. I'm so frustrated and depressed by it. I'm not dialated, have not lost my mucus plug and she has not dropped. I just feel like total dog crap! Someone please tell me they know exactly how I feel....

moviemom22

Asked by moviemom22 at 11:20 AM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• When i was pregnant with my daughter, I was in labor for 12 hours before I went to the hospital and didnt know it. I had bad cramping, yea it felt like the first day of my period, with gas and diahhrea. I didnt think these were labor pains, because it was just a constant pressure and cramping, like I had was on my period and drunk a half a gallon of milk, and my doctors said i would kno i was in labor if i felt them in my back, which i didnt. I layed on my aunt's couch from 9 at night all the way until the next morning, moaning, as the pressure got worse. My aunt woke up at about 8am and said "whats wrong, you in labor?" I said "no, I ate some bad food"...she insisted that I try and time the pains, and sure enough. they were 5 minutes apart, I was in labor!
    mzhazelrae313

Answer by mzhazelrae313 at 1:59 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• braxton hicks hang in there you don't have much longer
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Wait a minute!! Contractions aren't painful? You've got to be kidding me. Contractions are one of the most painful things in this world. Sounds like early labor to me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I had just heard from alot of people that their first contractions weren't painful, just more like pressure on their uterus that would come and go.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 11:33 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Its not BH, BH dont last for hours. You are just cramping which is your bodies way of thinning out your cervix. It sucks but it is totally normal at the end of pregnancy
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 11:39 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• my contractions were the worst thing i ever felt! where is the cramp at? upper abdomen, it is probably early labor thinning the cervix and preparing for active labor. lower abdomen, it is probably ligament pain from all the extra those muscles and ligaments have been carrying around for 39 weeks. if they continue after drinking a big glass of water, and they are increasing in severity, call you doctor. if not, mention them to your doctor at the next appointment.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 12:03 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• When you have contractions your stomach will feel really hard and then gradually relax, even with braxton hicks. At least thats how i was. You may have felt the feeling after having sex when your stomach gets really hard. That is what braxton hick feel like then when they get more intense they will be real and them you time them
    Cherish050307

Answer by Cherish050307 at 12:24 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Sounds like your body is doing the working up and preparation stuff. Not a worry.

If you are frustrated with your lack of cervical progression, stop getting checked. It can fuel that negative feeling (and introduce bacteria = a lose-lose situation).
    What your cervix is doing will not tell you how/when you will labor.

You might have lost your plug already without knowing, or won't until it comes with baby's head...
    And baby doesn't need to drop until labor, anyway.

It WILL happen!
    But you must be patient. For the best for baby, try to be patient. :-)

Is this your first baby?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:20 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• My contractions felt like period cramps, but really strong. It's the same feeling. I think you're in the beginnings of labor.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:08 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Thanks for all the helpful answers. Yes, this is my first and yes, I've told me doctors. I just had an appointment yesterday and they said it is normal. I just wondered if anyone else had the same exact feelings. It helps to motivate me, knowing that some of you think I'm starting labor. I will try to stay positive!
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 3:02 PM on Sep. 24, 2009