Is it safe to get a flu shot while pregnant?

I was admitted @ the hospital last weekend for cardiac issues & they recommended it to me but I heard from a few others its not safe while im pregnant?? Last 2 times I got the flu I was hospitalized for 6 days & 8 days.

whispers2005

Asked by whispers2005 at 11:28 AM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Most people are 50/50 on this issue. I read on a medical website just two days ago that it is recommended for pregnant women because it protects the baby from getting the flu even after its born. Which is good because you can't vaccinate a baby until its 6 months old.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 11:31 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Yes it's okay and if you do have heart issues it is best for you and your baby. Talk to your baby doctor about it and your concerns.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 11:36 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• It is recommended by drs to get it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• My doctors have told me to get both, that it would be the best interest for me and my little girl to be, since shes due smack dab in the middle of flu season, the flu shot carries on after birth with the baby for 6 months, its a two for one, both of you get protected! even my husband who has never gotten one is getting one! anyway check with your doctor since the cardiac issuses, but other i say do it I AM!
    Froggy_girl1790

Answer by Froggy_girl1790 at 11:44 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• With your health issues I wouldn't recommend getting the shot. Last shot I got I was in the hospital 3 days. I would decrease my risk of getting the flu. Shop at times when no one is at the store. Don't go to movies, church, or anywhere there is a crowd. Have people you live with change clothes and wash hands when they get home.

It's not normal for a young adult to have to be hospitalized that long with the flu. It could be a warning that you have something wrong with your immune deficiency. You can find out more by going to google and typing in primary immune deficiency. I have the primary immune deficiency disease called common variable immune deficiency (CVID). It can take 10-20 years and several hospitalizations to get the right diagnosis if you have a PID.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:47 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• it is safe for pregnant women; it is not safe for those with greatly diminished immune systems. dh cannot ever get any form of the flu shot, so i make sure that i do- you might tell anyone you are around a lot or live with that you would appreciate their getting it b/c you can't. this will reduce the risk of you catching serious flu from their mild flu; also tell them that if they are sick with something contagious and running a fever, they shouldn't expose you to this b/c you are pregnant and have a weak immune system.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 11:58 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• flu shots often contain a preservative called thimerosal which has mercury and can cause brain damage to the fetus or heavy metal poisoning for both of you. If you choose to get this shot, request to ONLY get the one without thimerosal. Demand it. ASK to SEE the vaccine tubes and original packaging. Check the expiration date and record it with the LOT #. My family has caught docs trying to give expired vacs all the time.

I will not be getting a flu shot bc I feel the risks outweigh the benefits for my pregnancy. I am privileged to work from home, which lowers my risk. As a precaution I am taking Lysine supplements which are effective natural anti-virals.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:04 PM on Sep. 24, 2009