Working moms

How do you moms work and afford daycare? I am just curious...it seems like I will never be able to work again

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I worked at the daycare for a while which offered free childcare and $10 per hour for me. I have two kids now and I work on the weekends and my husband takes care of them for me. I make really good money now though and could probably afford childcare while I work. You can also consider working from home for west at home or liveops. You can work in the evenings after your children go to bed.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 11:36 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• You might be able to work part time and find another mom to trade child care with so you don't have any expense. You may end up making as much as if you worked full time.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:37 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• My hubby and I both have salaried jobs and have flexable spending acconts w hich allow for $5,000 of our income to go to day care expenses before taxes. It helps. But if we weren't making as much, we'd have a hard time. It's a matter of living within your means. We budgeted it out before we had our daughter to make sure it'd work.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I worked nights and he worked days because we couldn't afford daycare. Good luck to you!
    lincsmom74

Answer by lincsmom74 at 11:44 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• When I go back to work, my MIL will be babysitting. If she couldn't do it, I'd have to apply for the reduced day-care program (not sure what it's called haha) because there would be no way we could afford it.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 11:57 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Yes, it's freakin' expensive. My DH and I both work full-time, salaried jobs and daycare costs us almost $900! My in-laws were helping us out with $300/month but my DH just got a raise, so we're going to stop taking the money from them. We use a flex spending account, too, but $5,000 is the max. We aren't rich by any means but we make a good income and $900 is not even one of my paychecks, so I'd have to be making a low wage for it not to be worthwhile for me to work, plus I give us both insurance, so...But, in home daycares are way more affordable. We found one for only $500/mos, but I don't feel comfortable with my 6 mos. old around all different aged kids yet. We just bite the bullet and pay, it's my kids life we're talking about!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I qualified (by income) for a daycare assistance program. I pay $187 a month for dd's full time daycare. Most states have these programs, you just have to take the time to apply. I also have a family member who cares for my dd (the program pays her their portion, and I pay her mine!) I like it because she gets to stay home with her two kids, and I don't have to worry about my dd being in a daycare and wondering who's taking care of her or what she's doing!
    babyruby02

Answer by babyruby02 at 1:57 PM on Sep. 24, 2009