Any tips on quitting smoking?

I have been trying to quit all week. Not successful. Any tips that worked for you in the past?

lincsmom74

Asked by lincsmom74 at 11:41 AM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Health

• There are toothpicks that contain natural flavor oils like tea tree, cinnamon, peppermint, etc-- very nice habit that improves your teeth!

For some people it is the habit of doing it, not the nicotine. A guy I used to work with to a break 3x a day when he wanted a cigarette at work, sat outside, and had a rope and a book on knot tying. He learned to tie a bunch of knots.

I quit by guilting myself. I quit several year ago before I got pregnant. I told myself that if i got sick from smoking my sister would suffer the most bc she would be the one caring for me in the hospital. It made me feel so bad I just stopped.

Or you could take all of your cigarette money and save it for something really nice in 6 months!

Best luck!! You're doing an awesome thing!!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:48 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Good for you! i'm not a smoker and don't know how to quit but i'm proud of you for trying.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 11:52 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• First off do it for you! You are important to everyone in your life! I quit almost a yr ago and at first it wasn't easy but it did get easier over time. Don't supplement with the gum, patch, etc. The best way is to get it out of your system, otherwise you're just going to crave it. I just kept telling myself that I didn't want to be on oxygen at 60 yrs old, or have copd. I also didn't like the example I was setting for our children. Goodluck! Don't give up! You can do it! PM me if you need any help!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:54 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• write all the reasons you want to quit and post them by exits in your house so you cant go out to smoke without seeing I DONT WANT CANCER by the door. I used to patch. I kept a half a pack hidden in the kitchen out of sight so i knew if i really panicd it would be ok i could have it...i got contro over them instead of them having control over me. I used quitnet.com very helpful website that tracks how much money you are saving, lifetime saved, cigs not smoked. Clean up smoking area and thow out ashtrays. Make area look nice. Stop triggers...i couldnt drink or talk on the phone while i was quitting cause i got cravings too bad. i had to replace it with walking up and down my street til cravings passed. (i walked on street cause kiddo was sleeping and i had to pace 2 houses up and come back) lol YOu can do it and you are worth it. dont let cig companies steal your health and money!!! Fight for it back momma!!! im almost 1yr quit
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:55 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I did reward myself with money i saved. spent it on teeth whitening strips, clothes, pedicure, massage...gave something good to myself instead of something bad. I also researchd effects of smoking online, looked at lung pics, read stories of the day people brought home oxygen tank...it is sooo sad and something i dont want. A real eye opener!!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:57 AM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I have never been a smoker. My husband was and he quit cold turkey so I guess you could try that if everything else fails.

He mentioned that he used to look at our picture in his wallet and say that every time he reached for money to buy a pack of cigarettes he asked himself a simple question: Is it worth to reduce my life time that I can spent happily with my family and to spent money and quality of life for this stupid addiction of mine? The answer was no so he closed his wallet and kept on walking. I am so proud of him! Good luck and I hope you success in your free nicotine journey.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 12:03 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I took chantix and that REALLY helped with cravings. And I also read the book The Easy Way to Stop Smoking. It's the best book ever! It really puts things into perspective on why people smoke and it's written by a guy who smoked like 3 packs a day for 20 plus years and quit.

Have a quit date or time. I made a deal with myself that if I went 24 hours that woul dbe it and I would quit. So every day I tried to go 24 hours, after a week or so it worked. If you really want to quit, you will. It's not easy but it will get better!
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 12:07 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• i quit, cold turkey, and for me- it was all about lollipops. i can only imagine how dumb that sounds, but it worked for me.
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 12:13 PM on Sep. 24, 2009