Mom in law question. We have basically a good relationship except she likes to analyze me, my husband and our relationship together. Is there any way to make her stop?

She's trained as a MSW, I think. I also realize this is her way of approaching the world. It makes her feel safe offering positive advice to other people. She doesn't see anything wrong with "loving" too much. That is what she says when I gently say something about her psychoanalyzing habits. I want to make the point clear, though, that it's not welcome. Advice? Books to read? Should I just suck it up?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:10 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Relationships

• See less of her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:57 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Apart from taking her to one side and saying (nicely) "look, we're doing fine and can work things out ourselves but if we need advice we will ask" not sure! You don't want to put her down but she has to learn to switch her professional side off with family surely?
    jackdaw

Answer by jackdaw at 2:39 PM on Sep. 24, 2009