I am pregnany and my step daughter has pnuemonia

She is supposed to come over this weekend. Her mom said it is non infectious, but I tried to look up non-infectious pediatric pnuemonia and it said the only way you can get it is from ingesting chemicals or aspirating. She just got over the flu and now has an ear infection. So that leads me to believe it is infectious!! Any moms on here dr's or well experience nurses. I am in nursing school and cant find anything on non infectious pnuemonia in my books or the internet for the pediatric population. Should I not be around her?

Cherish050307

Asked by Cherish050307 at 12:13 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Two kinds of pneumonia are viral & bacterial. If she has bacterial then no, you cant catch it. Look up "bacterial" & "viral" instead.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• i know about those, but they said non infectious which i know there is but mostly for old people and infants or neoonates thank you though I will. But she would most likely have viral if she had the flu last weekend right.
    Cherish050307

Answer by Cherish050307 at 12:20 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Just wondering, why would you not believe what they are telling you about her condition? They wouldnt just make it up would they, to appease you?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• No people are misdiagnosed all the time!! They didnt tell me they told her mother. She had just had the flu and now has an ear infection. That is why I am suspicious. SHe has virus' and bacteria floating around her respiratory tract why wouldn't I think it was infectious?
    Cherish050307

Answer by Cherish050307 at 12:44 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Could be, but it depends on how long she's had it & how long she's been on medication. Once you've been taking antibiotics for 24 hours, you're usually ok'd to go back to school or work or whatever as long as you dont have a fever.
    If she does come over I'd just be really dilagent about handwashing & making sure if she's coughing to cover her mouth with a tissue & dispose of the used tissues in sealed bags
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:43 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• My son gets aspiration pnemonia every 4-6 weeks and it is not contagious so it is possible. WTH would you not be around her even if she is contagious? That is your step-DAUGHTER, you should treat her like your own child. Would you stay away from your child if they were contagious? BOTH my children were diagnosed with the Swine Flu during this pregnancy and not only did I still love on them CONSTANTLY, I even let my 2 year old co-sleep with me during that time. Sorry, but it sounds selfish to me
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 2:06 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Loving your step kid doesn't mean you have to catch their illness!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:32 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I am trying to get through school. If I get sick I can tough it out and get there if my daughter gets sick I am screwed. I have no one to watch her while I go to school. My SO work 3 hours away. I cant miss school. I trry to prevent everything I can. I am 50 thousand dollars in debt because of nursing school and I am not going to blow it. It would be one weekend we wouldn't see them not a month. I would not have them come over if my daughter was sick, then send all three of them home sick so their mom couldn't go to school. Why are 90% of people on here bitchy. Good for you for putting your unborn child at risk. How do you like that. Where you trying to get the swine flu.
    Cherish050307

Answer by Cherish050307 at 2:45 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I am assuming your last sentence that was spelled incorreclty and was not formed as a question was in fact a question... Was I trying to get the Swine Flu? NO, I was being a MOTHER to my children! I am sorry but my unborn child is NO MORE IMPORTANT TO ME then my two living children are. Nor I am more important then they are. I am there for them regardless of their health!

And OMG its freakin' pnemonia, its not the end of the darn world.
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 3:01 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• As far as I have been informed by my physician, it is a condition, not an illness, therefore, it is not contagious....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:05 PM on Sep. 24, 2009