how to get baby to sleep at night

my baby is almost 6 months hes eating solids now and has been for about 3 weeks. He still wont sleep all night and i know 5 hours is considered sleepy through the night but hes not even doing that hes still waking every 3 hours to eat does he really need to be eating like that at night still? Im woundering if there is any tricks to getting him to go atleat 5 hours? I dont believe in CIO so that wont be a option for me so if thats your recomendation please dont answer the question sorry.
any help would be great thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:16 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• maybe try giving him a bath at night time with that night time baby wash thats how my sis got her son to sleep a little bit longer through the night he was doin the same thing
    mom2kaydence09

Answer by mom2kaydence09 at 12:19 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Sorry but we used CIO starting at about 2 mos. and my DD started sleeping through the night at 5 mos. CIO doesn't have to mean you shut the door and never go back in. My DD was like yours, waking every 3 hrs. One night I decided I would not feed her until at least 5 hrs. had passed. She woke and my DH and I took turns going in to pat her every 10-15 mins. We never picked her up. It only took a couple of days for her to get the hint and start going 5+ hrs. She is VERY stubborn so I was surprised at how quickly she started sleeping through. It's not really CIO, if you think about it.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 12:20 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I have heard good things about Elizabeth Pantleys 'No cry sleep solution' - I have not read it, but it has been given thumbs up by many attachment parenting associations.

But personally - I believe co-sleeping is the answer to sleep problems, it has worked amazingly for my family and many many others.

ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 12:20 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• "It's not really CIO, if you think about it."

You're right. Leaving a 2 month old untouched all night and making them wait 5 hours between feeds isn't CIO - it's neglect.
    Touch and milk - on demand - are two of the absolute most important things for an infant to have to thrive, denying them that is not okay or healthy.
    The part where they give up trying and just sleep isn't a triumph - it's a very sad story.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 12:24 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• My dd is five months old, still doesn't usually sleep for long stretches (granted she is teething right now too) But she will wake up and it used to always be to eat, but now she doesn't really want the bottle every time. I pick her up a cuddle her a few minutes and she is out again.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 12:43 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Lady savage....many healthy happy babies have CIO. I'm not a big supporter, but some people are. Please remember that everyone is not exactly like you and its ok for others to have thier own opinions on raising THEIR children. She was not neglecting her child. Her and her husband spent time her the baby.

As for the question posted, I liked denielps method. The love is still there but the habit of eating is being reset. At 6 months a baby is fully capable of sleeping through the night(5hrs). My best advice is to do what feels right to you. You are the momma and you know what is best for your little one!
    crazy4u49033

Answer by crazy4u49033 at 12:43 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• If the baby is still taking a full feeding, they do still need the feeding.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:10 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• i got my 4 month old to sleep through the night by this;

at 7:15 feed him his cereal

right after that i give him a bath with sleepytime soap and lotion

then i put him in pajamas (ones that cover the feet) that way you dont have to worry about baby kicking covers off and waking up because their cold

then its usually around 8:00 and i give him a bottle and lay him down in his crib when you lay him down make sure their eyes are open, even if their trying to sleep always make sure soon as you lay them down their eyes are open even slightly this way they associate sleeping in the crib and will eventually know when they get put in the crib that is where they sleep.

i do this routine everynight it started working after the 2nd 3rd try he sleeps from 8 to around 6-7 am! it works so well the other night we got home a little late and it was 9 (an hour past his bedtime) and i was feeding him and he fell asleep! LOL
    joycegina

Answer by joycegina at 1:20 PM on Sep. 24, 2009