2 week old and fever

so my daughter who is 2 weeks old had afever last night so i took her to the emergancy room by the time we got there the fever had broke and the doctors told me that nothing was wrong with her im kinda pissed cuz i know you dont just get fever for no reason all they did was gave me a prescription for thrush which is common in newborns now she has a fever again so what do i do her pedi doesnt have any openings and i dont want to take her back to the er if they are gonna keep sayin nothing is wrong

mom2kaydence09

Asked by mom2kaydence09 at 12:17 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• wow im surprised they just sent you on your way. How high was her fever? My son at 4 weeks old was running a mild fever of 100.6 and our dr told us to go to the ER right away because babies that little should not run fevers for any reason and if they are it signals a major infection. They tested him for Menajitis, flu, and many other things Luckly he turned out to be just fine and they never did figure out why he ran a fever but they did put him on iv antibiotics for 48 hours to be on the safe side. Im sure your little one is just fine but id be demanding someone check him out throughly. Good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• A baby as young as 2 weeks should be seen by the doctor. Call, make sure they know the baby's age, and demand to be seen. If they won't see her then she should be seen at an urgent care center or ER and you need to find a new doctor.

Thrush isn't common in 2 week old newborns if she hasn't had antibiotics and you haven't had a yeast infection. I have immune deficiencies and have had thrush and it is very uncomfortable.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:28 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• her fever was 101 but when we were at the er it had broke they di no test or anything just listened to her chest and sent us on our way i was pissed i know she is to little to be running a fever liike that and they didnt do a thing im still upset about it and its not like i can give her tylenol or anything she is to young her appetite is gone and everything and with the swine flu epidemic i am scared oout of my mind and i am a first time mom so i really have no idea what to do
    mom2kaydence09

Answer by mom2kaydence09 at 12:29 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Maybe try a different hospital? My dd had a fever over memorial day that I couldn't get to go down. The first er we went to did tests for RSV, the flu's, etc.. and all negative, but they couldn't get her fever down, so they told me they wanted to do a spinal tap to rule out menningitis! I FREAKED! She was only seven weeks old! Well, they did the tap, and then the transported us via ambulance to the children's hospital where she remained for three days on heavy antibiotics. They still have NO idea what she had! GL mama!
    babyruby02

Answer by babyruby02 at 1:48 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• You should have the baby seen if she has a fever at that young of an age no matter what! My doctor always told me right after my kids were born to call and make an appt. if they have ANY KIND of fever...high or low.
    joannakitler

Answer by joannakitler at 2:04 PM on Sep. 24, 2009