Anyone that had an MRI done.

What is it like?? I have to go for one on the 29th and I am kinda scared to have it done cause people keep telling me all kinds of things so what is it achually like? Be honest?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:23 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Health

• I've had 2 and didn't have a problem with either one. It is loud, but I actually found it relaxing - getting to just lay still with no kids fussing or pulling at you.

Answer by missanc at 12:55 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I had one done on my head and one on my abdomen. To me, the worst parts were having to stay still and the noise. My mom hates them because she gets claustrophobic. My son had one on his kidneys, and that one was not like a tube that your whole body goes into, it was more like a donut, and it was much quicker, but still very loud.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 12:35 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• It's really loud. It makes a lot clanking and banging sounds...so be sure to expect that. They gave me headphones to listen to during the MRI which helped. You have to stay super, super still or they have to start over. I'm super claustrophobic and panicked when I first went in. I started screaming and then pulled me back out, gave me a minute to calm down, and then we started again. I did much better the second try because I knew what to expect. Just think of it like laying in a tanning bed. That's about what it's like only you're not in control of when you can come out.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:46 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Mine was bad, but that was because of why they did it. It was of my jaw, and they had to prop it open, which is what caused the pain, so when I had to sit still while in pain for that long, well, it wasn't nice. But as others said, loud noises, small tube, no big deal as long as you aren't claustrophobic.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 1:20 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I've had 7 MRIs on my feet and wrists and then one on my head and one of my neck and I have to get another one of my neck in a few days. Its not so bad. The noise actually makes me sleep. I have never had a problem with them.
    sopheeahsmommy

Answer by sopheeahsmommy at 1:22 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• in just the past 5 yrs I've had at least 20. At this point in time I get anxious and am sedated. it's not that they're scary.... a little loud and BORING. but I had major back pain and laying that still that long is impossible.... it's better 4 me to sleep.

you have choices.... sedation, an open MRI, and usually music.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:32 PM on Sep. 24, 2009