what disipline works really well for you?

Just wondering cause everything I try nothing works for my kids

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:27 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• I firmly tell my SD (3 years old) what she's doing wrong, and what she should do instead. If she doesn't listen, she sits in her room until she's ready to come out, apologize, and do what she's told. And if she throws a temper tantrum, she gets a toy taken away for the day. She responds really well to this, and it saves me from yelling or stressing.
    My 16 year old sister, whom a I have custody of, needs to be approached a little differently. If she's disrespectful, or breaks a rule (there aren't many rules here, so that doesn't happen much) then she knows I'll take her Blackberry away.
    I think it all depends on how old your kids are, and what kind of things they're doing wrong.
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 12:33 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Love & Logic is wonderful, and it is appropriate for any age and pretty much any issue.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:32 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Have you heard of authoritative parenting. There are 4 basic styles of parening; authoritarian, authoritative, indulgent, and neglectful. Most people on cm only know about authoritarian parenting that relies on punishment and rewards. The problems is punishment does not teach good behavior. Children learn to ignor or resent parents.

Authoritative parents believe in developing a close and nurturing relationship with their children while also upholding and maintaining a reasonably high level of expectations and rules or guidelines. While the most difficult to accomplish, an authoritative parenting style is the healthiest and most well-balanced style in which to raise children.

You can find out more info by going to google. Without Spanking or Spoiling is a great first book.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:34 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• im sry but love does not teach ur kid right and wrong. spanking and time out are what i do. my 9 month old gets a lil pop on his hand and told no. I tell him no b4 i pop his hand and he usually listens i dont pop him enough to make him cry though just enough to let him know i mean NO. my 2 yr old gets popped on her diaper and put into time out
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• There is a time and a place for certain styles of discipline. Very few 1 and 2 year olds can be reasoned with, so they get punishments like a pop on the butt or time outs or whatever works. My children are taught that EVERYTHING comes with a consequence be it positive or negative. When my children aren't doing their best in school and their grades are suffering, they have consequences at school and at home, usually a good toung lashing and grounding. I AM authorative, very much so. My husband and I are the bosses, plain and simple, respect is NOT an option in our house and never has been, it's not an option with my kids friends either. There are consequences for everything they do
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:45 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I HAVE TEENAGERS SO I TAKE THE GAME SYSTEMS, COMPUTER, THERE FRIENDS, AND TV AWAY FROM THEM WHEN THEY DO SOMETHING REALLY BAD. IF IT IS JUST SOMETHING LITTLE I JUST TALK TO THEM AND GIVE THEM A WARNING THE IF THEY DO IT AGAIN I START TAKING STUFF AWAY FROM THEM.
    okc-mom-2

Answer by okc-mom-2 at 12:52 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Talking works great so far. But she's 11 months.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 1:12 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I'm a second for love and logic. And no, you don't have to swat a younger child, it isn't about reasoning with them. It's about teaching them with consequences that match the action.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 1:28 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Behavior modification and behavior management.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:34 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• For us it is a combination of prevention-being attentive to their needs and preventing behavior that is caused by things like tiredness (that was more needed when they were younger), teaching correct behavior, explaining what is expected, and then if necessary punishment is usually for the younger ones time out, for the older one removal of priviledges.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 3:25 PM on Sep. 24, 2009