Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has anyone gone through the courts for child support, custody and visitation for the father?

Does anyone know where I can find info about mother's and father's rights, what should i expect when we do go to court to make the visitation and custody legal. What should I know and how should I prepare myself?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:48 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

Answers (3)
  • oh yes - we've been to court numerous times! I let my attorney handle all of it, so I can't give you any info about rights. But these days there isn't a whole lot of difference between mother's and father's,
    but it does matter who has been the children's primary caregiver and what the current situation is. My ex made things as ugly as possible, so it was hard and I had to testify about things that happened during our marriage that was uncomfortable but I'm glad it's over!

    Answer by missanc at 1:04 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

  • It depends on the state laws
    You can find the info at the domestic department at the court house.
    First the judge hates fussing, so no mater what the childs father say, be civil and speak when the judge say so.
    Try to be fair with vistation- most standard vistation time is ever other weekend and the week of the weekend he does have a vist some time they let them have a couple hours one day of that week like a Wednesday.
    Holidays- mother odd years- father even years
    Father day- he can have few hours that day and the same for mothers on there day.
    Their b-day- you can split that day or alternate years.
    make sure you have a pick-up time stated like 6:00pm but after 6:30pm he loses his visited(expect emergencies or agreed by both part of change)

    Answer by Ministerswife at 1:04 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

  • summers vacation-he have the whole summer or you both split- he must indicated his vistation in writing (he pick the weeks he would like him- by certain day- like by April 15- otherwise he gets what you decide)
    Tax years can be alternated lik holidays- but who ever have insurance on child, some time claim the child period- if father is behind he can't claim
    Keep you paper with you at all times

    this is a example visitation

    child support-
    take taxes forms for past 3 years and 3 pay statement, if you pay childcare take proof

    Be precise on what you want and fair- try not get joint parenting- you want to be the custodial paret or the domicile parent

    Health care- you pay the first 100.00 and split the balance or split the full cost or

    Extra activities- you can both split the cost or whom ever enroll the child pay the bill

    I hope this help

    Answer by Ministerswife at 1:11 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.