How do you stay sane?

I have twins and they are 15 months old. I have been a SAHM since they were born and its been pretty rough. I dont have any help and they still dont sleep through the night. Lately, I was having some symptoms and I felt out of touch with reality and so I went to the doctor and she said its pretty common for some moms to have it. She prescribed some medication for me. It just makes me slower and I cant afford to be any slower. ....LOL.

Anyway, I was just wondering how other moms survive the day. I swear I dont want to wake up and start the day because my life is so stressful. My kids are VERY hyper. They jump off stuff, break stuff, dont listen and I find myself screaming at them.

They are also allergic to a TON of stuff so that makes meal planning a lot harder. Most days, I have no idea what to give them because they cant eat regular foods. I find myself feeding them the same meals over and over again. contd

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:50 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I feel so guilty because there is no variety in their meals.

I find myself cleaning my home every hour at least. It never stays clean and I get anxiety when I see the mess that I have to clean. Laundry is also overwhelming. I have about 4 loads a day.

So my question is, how do other SAHMs do it? How do you survive your day without taking medications and be upbeat about it. I want as many tip as possible.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• One load of laundry a day, catch up on weekends when my husband is home to help with the kids.

Clean house? What's that? I have certain things that I do every day and other things that might get done once a week, one extra job per day. Everything is picked up (all toys) every day, dishes are done ever day, sweeping if needed. Dusting, vacuuming are done once or twice a week.

Nap when they nap. When they don't nap any longer, institute "quiet time". They either still lay down and are quiet or they have a quiet time activity (when older) and you still stretch out to at least relax for that hour or so.

Color coded calendar so I know who has what to do when. I don't worry about what's coming up the next day, just what needs to be done tomorrow.

Do one thing at a time. Multi-tasking works some times, but not every time.

Know how long it takes to get somewhere driving, add 15 minutes for car loading.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:16 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Cook larger meals and freeze the left overs for those days when you just don't feel like cooking. Meat, side dish and a vegetable work well. One dish meals, stews, casseroles...Hamburger helper can be your friend (depending on the allergies) www.allrecipes.com is a good site. You can enter ingredients to use, and what to leave out (allergens)

Don't sweat the small stuff, pick your battles. That toy is on the floor, you put it away and they are going to get it back out.....was it worth putting it away? No. Just made more work because you put it away an extra time. The house will not fall apart if there is a mess....just like I had to learn that the books and videos being in alphabetical order are NOT going to happen with kids.

Upbeat? Yeah, right. It's NOT going to happen all the time. Look at your schedule/routine....find an hour for YOU. I get up at 5am every morning to have my coffee and computer time....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:21 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• ...until the boys get up about 6:30 (if not 6am). I cannot get up and jump right into caring for them...I need that time. Evening doesn't work so well for me...they go to bed at 8 and I'm usually in bed around 9:30. This is what works for us.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:25 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• WOW!!! Thank you so very much! TiccledBlue. These are some of things that I can do in my own home. Thanks for taking the time to share some of your tips. I appreciate it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:37 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• 4 loads of laundry a day? Damn. I do 8 loads of laundry one day a week. (usually Sunday or Friday, depending). Monday is living room day, Tuesday is kitchen, weds is my bedroom, Thursday is DS's room (if I get to it, otherwise its a catchup day if I had a bad day earlier in the week) Fri is bathroom , sat is catchup day and the day I cook at least 2 other days worth of food/shop/ prep food for the week. Sun is laundry. The only time I pick up toys is in the evening right after DS goes to sleep. I have a basket and I go around picking up all of them at once. Then I go dump it in his toybox if he is really asleep or leave it in the living room if he isn't. I try to do dishes every day in the morning. I have severe depression so I have to give myself some breathing room so I don't feel overwhelmed if I don't get something done one day. My house is never perfect, but its never overwhelmingly messy either.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 1:41 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Have a basket that you keep in the living room during the day, through out the day, toss things in there that need to go to other rooms, like upstairs. Carry it up whenever you go. Have a basket in the living room for toys, as they drag them out you can put them back, and have them help. At the end of the day take the basket back to their room/playroom. Don't stress about cleaning all day, remember the kids show, Molly and the Big Comfy Couch? She had the 10 second tidy, well I say the 20 minute tidy, right before "daddy" comes home, or after the kids are in bed, just run around tidying for 20 minutes, even set a timer, when it goes off, your done! Pick 2 days a week to do laundry, laundry can be never ending, so just do it two days a week. Give the kids wet rags to "clean" with you, have them wipe the tables, chairs, even walls. The point is not to stess too much about the cleaning, you'll totally stress yourself out.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 2:25 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• OMG!!! The basket idea is a great one!!!!!!!!! Thank you. That way, my home would look tidier.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:39 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Who says I'm sane?
    KLBrown

Answer by KLBrown at 3:53 PM on Sep. 24, 2009