How do I use time out when my son won't stay put?

Whenever I put him into time out, he lays down and rolls all over the floor. I put him back into the corner and just rolls away again. We could potentially do this dance forever! I usually get tired of putting him back so I put him into his crib instead. I'm concerned that he is viewing his crib as a punishment now because of it. How can I get him to stay put in a time out spot so that I don't have to use his crib?

jacobsmom707

Asked by jacobsmom707 at 12:55 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Maybe use an old playpen, or even carseat, something he can't get out of. OR...just continue to put him back, don't speak to him, just put him back. You may have to do this a million times for a few days, but eventually he'll get it. Just stick to your guns....don't let him win. See already he knows he can win, eventually you do give in. You have to make him see you are serious now, and that he WILL stay in time out. Make sure you set the timer as soon as he is staying put, then when he hears the "ding" and sees he can get up, he'll begin to get it. It does take awhile, and alittle longer now, because he already thinks he can win. But hang in there!
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 2:16 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• don't put him in his crib or he wont go to sleep eventually b/c he wont liek being in it. I say just be consistent and keep putting him back, or purchase a portable crib and set it in a corner of your living or family room for his timeout spot.
    NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy

Answer by NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy at 12:57 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Firm consistency, my girl does that somewhat, and she is getting the hint to sit and take the time out in corner.
    3rdDay

Answer by 3rdDay at 12:57 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• If you give up then HE WINS...you have to be consistent and if it takes an hour to get him to do his one min/year of age in time out, then it takes an hour...because guess what? Next time, it might only take 30 mins..and after a couple of times, he will get the message that Mama means it! Now I don't know how old your child is, maybe he isn't old enough to get the idea of 'time out' right now...if that's the case, then maybe you can try something different. Time out didn't click for mine until she was probably 2 1/2 or so. She just didn't get what the deal was. Consistency is the key. And using what I call 'your MAMA voice'...tone of voice can get a lot of points across. Make sure you are speaking in the right tone. Just keep at it..they get the message--eventually.

SimplyLaine

Answer by SimplyLaine at 1:09 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• sit there and make him stay....sont let him move....tell him he is in trouble and this is his punishment....dont let him move....
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 1:13 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• most "experts" would say not to ever associate food or rest with punishment so i wouldnt' do the crib thing.

how old is your child.

my son is 23 months old and imo he is too young for time out. we do "time out" but we just take him to a spot and say time out and let him immediately get up. it works for him. i have heard the rule to do 1 minute per age which would be 2 minutes for a 2 year old and i think once he has matured a bit that is what we will do but for now it is over his head.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:06 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• 23 months old is NOT too young for time outs.
    Time outs have worked for us since our son was just over a year old. At first he would get up because he didn't understand he was supposed to stay there so I sat with him.
    Then after a few times he knew where to sit and that he wasn't allowed to get up until he was given the ok by either myself or DH.
    Sometimes he gets up just to test the boundaries and we just keep putting him back and resetting the timer every time he gets up.
    If he keeps it up then we tell him that one of his toys will be taken away until he can listen. Usually once the toys are brought into the picture he sits there. He doesn't like to lose his things.

I've only had to take toys away one time, I kept them in my closet until the next day. Now whenever he feels that his toys are in jeopardy he smartens up really quick.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:50 PM on Sep. 24, 2009