Is Autism hereditary?

I'm posting this question after I was invited to a seminar about ABA (method of teaching for Autistic children). This has nothing to do with my question but I was wondering why many of the mothers who assisted to the seminar seemed not having family history of Autism.

Perhaps a cousin, an aunt, a nephew? They were completely honest to say that they knew nothing about the condition up until their children were diagnosed with Autism.

Is Autism hereditary?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:01 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• My oldest daughter is severely autistic. We knew something was wrong by the time she was one. I think there is a genetic link for us and here's why: My husbands brother has a daughter with autism and his cousin has a son with autism. My husband didn't speak until he was four years old! My husband does not have a diagnosis but, he was a late talker, he as always had social issues, he has problems understanding facial expression and sarcasm, and because he doesn't understand social cues and doesn't understand how people behave socially, he makes up rules for himself. He doesn't understand that he should sometimes deviate from these rules, he thinks things should always be the same. Don't get me wrong, he's adjusted really well, and he's a successful man, but I think if he were born now, he'd get a diagnosis on the spectrum. His brain just doesn't work like other peoples.

syfymom

Answer by syfymom at 5:17 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Yes.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 1:04 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I think before now, it was heavily misdiagnosed, and so they very well might have had Autistic people in their families and just not known it.

I don't know what to think because there are many cases of siblings having Autism, but there are just as many or more cases where only one sibling does.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 1:06 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• well, if its hereditary then why do people say vaccines cause it???
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:06 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Well, anon, maybe they are looking for a reason other than themselves. I mean can you imagine the guilt one must feel if they pass on something like that? No one wants to think they are personally to blame.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 1:11 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I think it's very likely a genetic predisposition that may or may not be affected by vaccinations. It has recently (in the past 10 years or so) become a VERY commonly diagnosed "disease", so knowing whether or not someone had similar symptoms in their family history would be a much more likely way of knowing than to only consider who was DIAGNOSED with autism in their family.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 1:11 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• They believe they have found a genetic component, yes. But the austism spectrum includes alot more than it did even 10 yrs. ago. More children are being diagnosed on the spectrum because they have learned what to look for. So, whereas I would honestly say that I knew nothing about this until after my dd was diagnosed, since then I have seen some symptoms in family members that I never really noticed before.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 1:13 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• on the vaccine thing, from what I have read, its a genetic disorder but it appears it takes a catalyst to activate it in some children. Vaccines appear to be one catalyst although I read something just recently that said that allergys may be a catalyst too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:13 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Make up your minds people! Is it genetics or vaccines?

Come on armchair experts! Give us the answers!

BTW this is only in reference to those who have no idea what Autism is, but still go on like they know what it is. After all they must be experts since they saw a little boy once on a playground that was Autistic.
    Anonymous

• Autism runs in families.

Please don't confuse Pure Autism with Autism-like symptoms. The second one is caused by many factors one of them being vaccines.

A child who has family history of Allergies or any conditions related with the nervous system is recommended to delay and space out the vaccines.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:21 PM on Sep. 24, 2009