breast feeding

if i am planning on pumping rather than just breast feeding can you start pumping before the baby is born that way you dont have to actually breast feed at the hospital?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:05 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• No you don't start pumping untill after the baby is born
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:06 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• If you are going to pump or breastfeed, you need to let them know at the hospital - they will help you.

Answer by missanc at 1:07 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Your milk will not come in until AFTER the baby is born and it generally takes 2-6 days. until that point, you will only get colostrum with is liquid gold to babies and again it really doesn't come until the baby. Also, the downside of pumping is that you will not get as much out as nursing and you may dry up quicker.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:09 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• You'll need to wait.
    If you can start with baby at the breast you'll be more effective at establishing your supply. Can you get it going for two weeks and then begin pumping? Would you like some help?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:15 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• As other moms have said, there is no point in pumping before the birth of your baby. Milk starts out as purely hormonal so when your body shifts from pregnancy hormones to mommy hormones your milk will come in. However, pumping don't remove milk from the breast as sufficiently as babies do. Additionally, some women just don't respond to a breast pump. Take with a IBCLC (International Board Certified Lactation Consultant) on how to pump and keep up a milk supply. Remember, babies take more from a bottle becasue flow is faster resulting in tummy getting full before the brain gets the stop signal, so you may be required to pump more. Additionally you will have to get up often at night (every 2-3 hrs) to pump and properly store the milk. Good luck and congratulations on the coming baby.
    hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 1:18 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Your milk won't come in until after the baby is born, plus pumping can stimulate labor so I wouldn't recommend doing anything like that before you are ready for the baby to come out.
    Also, they will help you in the hospital, most have pumps you can use there. And, as another poster mentioned, pumping exclusively is very hard to do. Even the best pumps aren't near as efficient as a baby when it comes to getting the milk up and keeping supply.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 1:29 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• You cannot pump until after the baby is born and your “real milk” has started coming in. The lactation consultant I worked with recommended waiting until the baby was 4 weeks old.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:41 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• you might think that it will seem strange to have your baby suckle at your breast, but it will come completely naturally once your baby is born and it will not feel weird at all. and then you also won't have to mess with the pumping and the bottles and all of that. good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:57 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I nursed both my babies,,, each were VERY dif ,,,, one was aggressive the other was just plain LAZY!!!! when i nursed ds for the 1st time, I was scared !!!!!! He had been in the NICU for 20 hrs (( I couldn't even see him((I had a c-section)),,,,, FINALLY, after I could go, the NICU nurse put a screen up and just gave him to me!!!! I remember asking my husband what do i do??? I had read ALL kinds of books and am from an Italian family,,,,, (( I had LOTS of advice & aunts to call))if you didnt nurse, there was something wrong!!!! UGH,,,, I was talking to dh and he did it ALL by himself,,,,, he didnt latch on EXACTLY right, I was amazed!!!!! I remember crying and yelling "Look Honey he is doing it!!!!" I had to pump while he was in the NICU,,, OMG it hurt BAAAD, I did NOT want to pump EVER again,,, Good Luck Momma!!!! my best advice is RELAX, the rest will fall into place!!!!!! don't be hard on yourself!!!!!
    30andstillgrowi

Answer by 30andstillgrowi at 2:05 PM on Sep. 24, 2009