Lamaze?

My sister is pregnant, due in December. I asked her if she was going to take Lamaze. I took it 14 years ago when I had my first. She said that her doctor told her that no one takes that anymore, no one has natural child birth. I certainly didn't have natural child birth, but I found Lamaze to be so helpful in letting me know what was going to happen. Is this true? Are you/did you take Lamaze?

mompam

Asked by mompam at 1:19 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• No one takes Lamaze, LOL. It's a waste of time. I sure didn't waste my time on it and had a great natural delivery.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:21 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I took it and it did help.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:22 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• No I didn't take Lamaze, with my son, my hub did shift work so couldn't do it. With my daughter the lamaze classes were way the hell up north from where we lived and I knew that I would want an epidural again
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:26 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Do they even offer that anymore? I really don't think she needs it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:27 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Her doctor has just oNE opinion. Others will say the opposite.
    An OB has interests in intervening in the normal process, not normal birth.
    If your sister is healthy then it would be BETTER and safer for her and the baby for her to deliver naturally. The more natural the better.
    Taking a birth class is an excellent way to help her prepare for a better & safer birth. And pregnancy!

I have a lot of info and suggestions. Message me for more, if you'd like. I have been taking birth classes for years. ;-) (As a birth doula, as a pregnant woman, as a interested party.)

There are different kinds of ways to prepare for birth~ no one NEEDS to take classes. But if this is her doc's perspective she might want to be fully "armed" with education and preparation.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:30 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• She should absolutely take a preparation for childbirth class. Her doctor has a god-complex and is likely hoping to collect the higher fee from a c-section (more likely with an unprepared patient). She should also take a newborn care class, breastfeeding class and infant first aid/CPR.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:34 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I never took them, my friends never did.... they had epis and I had an emergency C. Plus, DH was in bootcamp and AIT during the entire thing and we moved to a new state just before I delivered... i just didn't feel it was necessary with my first! maybe with my second. My dad tried pushing me to take them but that made me not want to take them even more. I hate being pushed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:38 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• BTW~ The Lamaze of the 1980's is history, lol!        Today's birth prep classes encourage educating and encouraging moms, helping them prepare for normal birthing. 

;-)

Check this out:

Lamaze

doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:39 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Lamaze was part of my birthing class with my first. I found it extremely unhelpful. That is why we are doing Hypnobabies this time around.

However the physician is full of crap, there are many women who are choosing to have a natural birth! He/she may not see natural births, but part of that is his/her fault for the way they view child birth!
    hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 1:50 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• that is horrible that he said no one has natural births! i agree with PP, lamaze has changed A LOT. hopefully she can find a good class. i went to the one offered by the hospital and it was just basically teaching you how to be a good patient :P
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:52 PM on Sep. 24, 2009