Developmentally on target?

My son is four months old and I recently notice that when he is on his tummy he holds his head up really well but when I sit him upright on my lap he can hardly hold his head up for a few seconds. Should I be worried?

SweeThang931

Asked by SweeThang931 at 1:20 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I think he sounds like he is doing great. Your best source of info for stuff like that is his Ped. I always find myself looking online and worrying myself about things. Just let him develop at the rate his is going at and just metnion something at his next Dr appt. It sounds like he is doing good to me!
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 4:03 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• No, he's only 4 months old
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:27 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• You should check out a book on child development from your local library. I recommend Touchpoints by T. Berry Brazelton and anything by Penelope Leach. Dr. Brazelton has a great website, too: www.touchpoints.org

Answer by rkoloms at 1:31 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• No I don't think you have anything to worry about. I would watch him and see if he gets better at this. Then when you go in for your next check up for him talk to your doctor. You can also check out sites like babycenter.com to get some ideas on developmental stages.
    Katysmom

Answer by Katysmom at 1:40 PM on Sep. 24, 2009