In response to "pregnant while being pregnant" (IVF question as an older woman, myself)

To the original question, there was a response mentioning that the possibly reason of my infertility was that my true calling was something other than motherhood.

Well let's just say that I've pretty much been around the corporate world, and somehow feel a void in my life. Now, there will be a few of you moms out there that say that I need to check my life before bringing in a child into the world, and in fact there are other children who would want my love.

My answer (in form of question), what if I have already earned enough to purchase a large house and care for a child? What if I want to see a reflection of ME and not another person's face (don't want to adopt)? And, I don't want a special needs child if I can avoid it (!)? And, let's not get into the subject if my baby wasn't perfect. Not part of my question.

If I have my plans laid out, why can't I just pursue my satisfaction?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:34 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Health

• Well, I didn't see the other question. But if you have everything prepared, then why not do IVF? You can go to a sperm bank or if you have a very close friend. Why not? I am single and I adopted 2 children and some people thought I was crazy but I still had everything planned out. Its working for us. If you want to do IVF, you should give it a try. BTW...sorry if this is not what you were asking for. As I said, I didn't see the other question.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:39 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• If that's the life you want and you can afford it and support a kid, then GO FOR IT AND MORE POWER TO YOU!!!!
    I'm adopted myself, but only because my parents weren't able to conceive. But I can't imagine having my daughter and knowing that she's not really mine, biologically speaking that is. It was always a sore topic with my parents that they couldn't have kids, especially for my dad, who was the one unable to father children.
    Yes, there are a LOT of children out there who need homes, but if that's not what you want then people shouldn't be trying to get you to change your mind.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 1:40 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I agree with the 1st poster....why not? I adopted as a single parent. But I can't have kids. I personally don't care if a child is biologically mine or not so we are very happy. If you want to do IVF, just find the right sperm and go for it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:44 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• You can do whatever you want but have some realistic expectations. It may not work out. We dont always get things exactly how we want them. sometimes in order to get part of what we want we have to compromise. If you insist it has to be "your way" & no other you may end up never being a mom.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:06 PM on Sep. 24, 2009