i think my nephew is a little "slow"

granted he was born 4 weeks early (so was my son & he's fine)....anyways he can't hold his head up for long periods of time and he can't crawl and he cries all the time and he can't eat from a spoon well (spoon being held for him) gets a "far off" look in his eyes and can't reach for stuff well.. he's 7 months old (does it sound like he's slow or is it just me?)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:40 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It does sound like something to be concerned about. He may just need alittle extra attention and work to catch up. Or he may have a more serious problem. I'd bring it to his parents attention, and tell them to talk to his dr about it.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 1:59 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Every baby is different and just because YOUR baby was early too and he's FINE doesn't mean that's going to be the same for the next baby! What does his Mother think???
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:42 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Sounds like it to me I would bring it to your sister/brothers attention.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 1:42 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Has he been evaluated? What does his ped say? Sounds cause for concern to me honestly, I wouldn't let it go and bring him in for an evaluation.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:43 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• All babies are different. Premature babies are evaluated on their gestational age, so he's 6 months old. A 6 month old not crawling, not eating off a spoon - these are not things to get worked up over.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:44 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Wow, your poor nephew, going to be having you compare him to your son for the rest of his life. Every baby is different, and at 7 months your worried?? Relax, read some books on child development and leave the poor baby alone.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 1:46 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• i'm just wondering i'm not saying anything bad about him (but his mom and ped are morons) i don't want to say anything to my brother b/c i might offend him...i just don't want him to ge slow but not get the help he needs, ya know? i love my brother to death and bless his heart he tries to take care of the kids the best he can (his wife don't do shit) but he can miss a few details at times
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:47 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I would wait another couple of months. I mean, honestly, what are you going to say? Some parents just don't want to hear that anything could be wrong with their children,and she may get really upset with you. In a few more months, any delays should be more apparent and hopefully her ped will catch anything and you can just be supportive.

Answer by missanc at 1:50 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• LETS SEE HEAD DEVELOPMENT SHOULD BE GOOD AT THIS AGE
    AS FOR THE CRAWLING MYDS IS 7 MTS OLD AND DOESNT CRAWL MY DD DINT CRAWL TILL SHE WAS ALMOST 10 MTS
    MAYBE HE IS DEVELPING SLOWLY BUT HEY SOME BABIES DEVELOP FAST OTHERS SLOW. MY DD DEVELOP SLOW FOR SOME PEOPLE AND NORMAL FOR OTHERS YET SHE IS 2 1/2 AND HER DOCTOR ALWAYS TELL ME SHE IS ADVANCED FOR HER AGE.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 1:56 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Minimo77,
    Those were my thoughts exactly. He's only 7 months old and your calling him "a little slow"? All babies are different and I'm sure he has things he can do that your son can't..big deal. Parenthood is hard enough with out some family member comparing your child to theirs, your children are babies not dogs in dogs competing in a dog show, leave the poor baby alone. Your son sounds like he may actually be a little ahead for a premature baby, good for him but shame on you for using that to look down on your nephew and point out what he can't do. You should be looking at all hi accomplishments not calling him slow.
    michelle0228

Answer by michelle0228 at 1:58 PM on Sep. 24, 2009