Suicidal Teacher

We have a teacher who was hired at the end of last year to teach computers to grades pre-K to 4. I just heard today that supposedly over the past couple of days she unsuccessfully tried to commit suicide for the 3rd time this year. I also heard that there are parents getting together to sign a petition and going to the school board to get this new teacher fired believing that she poses a threat to their children if she continues to teach.

Obviously she has mental health problems, but I'm just not into the whole witch hunt thing. I'm more thinking that they should give her the option of admitting herself into a hospital for help or turn in her resignation...and then not allow her back until she has been cleared.

How would you react?

BTW...my only child is in Pre-K.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:43 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in

• Being that I've been in this teachers shoes I agree. She needs help and should get that help and yes the school board needs to offer it to her. But getting a petiton signed is too much. It will seem like to her you are all ganging up on her. Thats not good for someone in her state of mind. Bring it to the School Board's attention and leave it at that. If nothing come out of it and they do nothing then proceed with the petition.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 1:46 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Are they hoping to make her successful by giving her yet another reason to be depressed? I feel a teacher's personal life has little to do with what they need to bring to the classroom. Her job should hinge on her performance as a teacher, not what she's doing after she's off work.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:52 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• First, is this fact or heard from a friend of a friend? If it is just through the grapevine then ask yourself if there are people (students or parents or other teachers) who would like to see her gone. If it is substantiated then I would act. However instead of going to the school board I would go to the school's principal first. This person has had daily contact with the teacher and is in a better position to council her.

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 1:56 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• if this rumor is true- then i would say the witch hunt could hurt more than help- she might end up successfully killing herself because she was pushed over the edge- but i do think they should have her see a psychologist and get some help

lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 8:10 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I'm pretty sure someone who has tried to kill themself three times in one year needs to be someplace besides a classroom. Not that they pose a threat to the children but they are a threat to themselves if they don't get some serious help.

I would not sign a petition to have her fired. I'd hope and pray that someone stepped in and help her deal with her problem.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 9:54 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Well, is this fact or fiction? You are hearing a rumor and until I have proof from the school, then I wouldn't do anything. This teacher does NOT need to be fired and she does NOT pose a threat to the kids. She needs a leave of absence to get the treatment that she needs. I would NEVER sign a petition against a teacher that is having personal issues. She needs help not to lose her job. She loses her job, she can't get treatment because she loses her insurance. Also, I would NOT do anything on a SUPPOSED. That equates to a RUMOR.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:56 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• If YOU were suicdal would you want help or someone to come persecute you for your illness and cause you to become even more suicidal? Rumors, stay away from the petition and gossiping about someone you know nothing about. If this woman needs help, why in the hell aren't some of you helping her instead of chasing her down like an Ogre?
    Our High school had a teacher shoot herself in the head in the school parking lot last year instead of walking into her classroom. Guess who found her? Students. Get some help for this woman instead of spending your time wondering whether or not to sign a petition to persecute her for being ill- possibly.
    You are ready to admit her to a hospital and you don't even know her.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:51 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• What those parents are doing is horrible. If they really want to model good behavior for their children, they would approach this matter with kindness. A one-on-one conversation with the principal is the proper way to approach this.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 2:05 PM on Sep. 25, 2009

• In some instances, mental illnesses are considered disabilities. In that case, firing her because she is mentally ill would be illegal.
    mommyjenny2009

Answer by mommyjenny2009 at 2:38 AM on Sep. 26, 2009

• I wonder...if your children were being cared for by this teacher during the day...really, how would you all feel? This isn't a matter of someone's private life or invading it...this is a matter of an adult who is with your child 4 to 8 hours a day...someone who sets an example for the children. Is this the kind of example you want set for your children? I know I wouldn't like it very much. She obviously needs help...if she's a threat to herself then in my opinion, she's a threat to the children.
    sonja911

Answer by sonja911 at 11:13 PM on Sep. 26, 2009

Next question in
College question....

Next question overall (Pregnancy)
Hemorrhoids?