How much TV, computer, and gaming time u give ur kids????

I have been told by the G,parents (( 6 out of 8 )) that I am "MEAN" mom bcuz I only allow my kids to have about 2 hours of "electronic devices" a day,,,,, I don't see any reason for them to have anymore,,, I do NOT make a big deal about it,,, if they are on after I tell them to get off, I go and turn it off myself.... Am I being a "BAD" mom for not wanting them to sit ALL day??

30andstillgrowi

Asked by 30andstillgrowi at 1:48 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• No your not a bad mom, I agree with you. I think alittle eletronic time is fine for kids, but there has to be some limit set, they need to do other things, use their imagination, play outside, whatever. I think 2 hours is a good time limit. And I like your attitude about when they don't get off when they are sappose to, you just shut it down.....that's what I do!
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 1:54 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Wow - no, I think 2 hours is generous! When my kids are out of school they get about that (depends on their age), but when they are in school they are too busy with other things to worry about screen time, and I like it that way!

Answer by missanc at 2:12 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• One hour a day on school nights; two hours a day on the weekends

Answer by rkoloms at 3:17 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• My kids are only 3 and 19 months, so our standards are a bit more strict than I think I may have when my kids are school-aged. No media time for the youngest, and an occasional DVD for the older toddler. We're a TV-free household, though.
    EmeraldsMommy

Answer by EmeraldsMommy at 3:56 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Thank You for your "answers"!!!!! I am glad to see I am not the only mom who feels this way!!!!! On school nights they are busy with HW and chores that it is too late for games, my son is adhd and the games make him hyper, I would rather go for a bike ride or a walk, or even play freeze tag in the yard to get rid of ALL our energy,,,,,, dad doesn't participate very often though :( we are working on it, therefore he "agrees" with me on the time limit bUT he is NO good at enforcing them!!!!! He accepts TOO many excuses!!!!!! We do NOT excuse ourselves unless we are doing something " not acceptable"..... IF I could just get him to realize that,, Until then I will do it !!!!! AND keep nagging him until one of us gets tired of it LOL,,,, we will work on it,, we have been together for almost 18 yrs!!!!! We balance each other out, that is why I wanted advice!!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!
    30andstillgrowi

Answer by 30andstillgrowi at 4:45 PM on Sep. 24, 2009