Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

About Child Custody in California

Hello. I want to know about usual custody outcomes in California. My child's father and I have never been married. I have raised my son as a single mother from day one. Now the father has filed papers for both joint physical and legal custody. He lives with his parents, no job, no car, warrants in other counties. He has had serious mental illness problems in the past as well. His family's place is not bad at all. They are nice people, he is not. He also wants custody for two weeks out of every month until my child goes to school (he is 19 months old). My son also thinks of another man (my finace) as his father. My finace has raised him since he was three months old. Does my baby's biological father have a chance of getting what he wants? If so, what can I do to change that outcome? thank you.


Asked by JonsMom924 at 10:16 PM on Jun. 23, 2008 in General Parenting

Level 1 (0 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (2)
  • California Courts: Self-Help Center: Families & Children: Child ...
    Return to the California Courts home page ... Custody & Visitation. Child, Spousal, & Partner Support ... California Guideline Child Support Calculator ... -

    Answer by vbruno at 11:38 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

  • he legally has to take a paternity test to be established as the father - though once he gets to court he will be laughed out if there are existing warrants for his arrest - possibly just go to jail and wait trial for those. if you and your fiance are getting married talk to a lawyer about him legally adopting the baby, and what it will take.

    Answer by hiddenpoet at 11:09 PM on Jun. 23, 2008