IS it okay to give my 2 month old sugar

My MIL said i could put a little sugar on his bikini to help get rid of hiccups but my husband and i are trying to get him to take his bikini so at least five time a day we put sugar on it to help him take it. Is this bad what could happen if i keep giving him sugar at such a young age

newmom183

Asked by newmom183 at 2:02 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldn't, but I don't really know. Formula is basically all sugar and people give it to their children all the time, so I guess go for it by that standard.

You could give him a minimal amount of gas medicine whenever he has hiccups. My son has them all the time, but they don't seem to bother him now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:05 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I would avoid sugar...you don't want to start bad habits so early. Try Gripe Water for hiccups...works like a charm. If baby doesn't want the pacifier...that isn't necessarily a bad thing...
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:09 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Suger is not "bad" for them but it is not good for them in large amounts either. So you know hiccups are a good thing in babies. It means they are growing. It is annoying to have them hiccuping all the time but it really is good for them. I would stop putting suger on the paci myself.
    Katysmom

Answer by Katysmom at 2:11 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• No it's not good for him to put sugar on his Binky, not only does it get him hooked on supper sweet things but he is also so young and his body is not equipped to deal with pure refined sugar, his blood sugar levels are probably spiking. Sugar on a Binky can also rot your sons teeth when they begin to come in. I would tell your pediatrician what your doing, I guarantee he will advise you to stop. Though problems may not show now there may be after effects, old traditions like this are said to be partially related to things like adult diabetes and obesity problems. If he doesn't want his Binky don't force him on it, if you do feel the need to then rub some fruit on it because at least it's natural sugar.
    michelle0228

Answer by michelle0228 at 2:14 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I don't give straight sugar to any of my children, definitely not my baby! My oldest and youngest took pacis, my 2nd and 3rd never liked them. You might want to try a different paci with a different nipple - maybe that's what she doesn't like.

Answer by missanc at 2:21 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• bikini?

no please don't give your baby sugar :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:22 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I don't think this is a good idea. Why are you trying to get him to take it if he doesn't want it? That's great, it only means you won't have to try to get him to give it up when he's older. Sugar isn't good for babies, considering at this age they are only supposed to have breast milk or formula, and it could set him up for dental problems. My advice? Ditch the sugar.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:22 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• You can (I actually used a drop of Hershey syrup many years ago) but I would advise against it. You don't need to start your child on a sugar addiction this early in life (or ever really).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:28 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• When my daughter had the hiccups, I would just wet my finger and dip it in sugar, and let her suck on my finger. The sucking of the sugar off the finger helped to get rid of her hiccups. I wouldn't put it on his paci, b/c he could get used to wanting sugar on it, and never take it again (if you want him to take it)
    armywifeandmom3

Answer by armywifeandmom3 at 3:01 PM on Sep. 24, 2009