How can I get my 5 week old to sleep better?

It seems like my 5 week old slept better when he was a newborn. Now he seems to wake up about 5 minutes after laying him down. He will sleep fine as long as he is being held. I've tried everything I can think of: singing, rocking, putting him in his bouncy seat or car seat, and sometimes even a car ride at 3 am, ect. Any advice or tricks anyone knows of that might help would be great!

kellibel

Asked by kellibel at 2:06 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• he sounds like my baby...he's 6 weeks old & i have to rock him to sleep while he has a paci in his mouth, it works though GL
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:08 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Unfortunately, the only thing that will really help is just time. He's still very young, and sleep patterns are sometimes erratic at this age. He'll sleep eventually...
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:20 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• The one thing that helped me when my daughter was that age was making sure she ate really well before bed. At 5 months old he can have stage 1 baby food, and possibly stage 2 (if that's what you want to give him). Make sure he is eating well enough to make his tummy full before he goes to sleep. My daughter slept thru the night every night since then. Or maybe if its your touch he likes, get a big stuffed animal and lay it next to him for him to go to sleep with, but I would make sure you moved it afterwards b/c of SIDS. My daughter would fall asleep with a huge moneky as well.
    armywifeandmom3

Answer by armywifeandmom3 at 2:58 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• 5 weeks.. well, I don't have advice cause he's so little - Have you tried a swing? more than likely its a growth spurt, could be reflux? Gas? Oh Mommy.. My son was so colicky I have no good advice, but good luck and hang in there!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:43 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Five weeks? Just one way.

Wait a bit.

**smile**

They sleep better when THEY are ready to. The first months are nothing but changes.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:50 PM on Sep. 25, 2009