Has anyone else ever had this happen or am I just weird?

In high school I had acne pretty bad, so I bought like 15 different soaps and scrubs and face pads and it just always got worse.

One day I decided that I was tired of trying to make it better if it was gonna be that bad no matter how hard I tried!

After I stopped using face cleansers and started jut using waer in the shower and nothing else, IT CLEARED UP.

For 10 years now, my face has been 95% acne free using just water. But I recently decided to start cleaning my face thouroughly again and TADA, I broke out!!

Does that seem strange to anyone other than me, that neglecting it would be the best bet!? So has anyone else had this problem or am I just a one of a kind?

teardrop_7060

Asked by teardrop_7060 at 2:12 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• i've noticed when i try new products my face starts to break out. it would take at least a couple weeks of using the product consistently before breakouts would quit. so ya it happens to me. i usually just wash in shower. but hormones have started making my face breakout again.......i know what you mean though.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 2:16 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• well your skin needs to be exfoliated every 3 days bc the skin overlay is dead and full of toxins. i use to use pro-activ and my face got used to it, i TRIED EVERYTHING, ........... and finally i talked to a mary-kay lady and i started using this stuff called VELOCITY and it is wonderful i swear!.. all u need is a cleanser which is a 3 in 1. it exfoliates, tones, and cleanses all at the same time, and get the mosirurizer and your set! it doesnt cost that much either. i think its like 7$ a piece, cant remb last time i bought it. but its wonderful. i swear on that stuff. a week after i started using it all blemishes, gone. bc i also used to have red cheeks. try it i swear on it. it also gives u a glow.
    SweetiePieAfWf

Answer by SweetiePieAfWf at 2:16 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Now that I'm older, the "acne products" no longer work for me. My best bet is to use a very mild cleanser or exfoliator (I use Biore poor unclogging daily scrub), moisturize really well, take my B vitamins and drink lots of water.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:32 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• If your skin is sensitive, it reacts to irritants by breaking out. You may have a sensitivity to a very basic ingredient in most soaps and skin cleansers (maybe even something that's considered hypoallergenic). If your skin was basically not breaking out before, go back to what you were doing. Don't buy into the crap that you need a specific product to solve your problem. Obviously water was doing pretty darned well for you.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 2:50 PM on Sep. 24, 2009