Night Terrors? Not sure if this what my daughter has.

My daughter has been waking up in the middle of the night at 3am on the dot. She has been like this for about the past month it's been an almost everyday thing. She wakes up screaming and crying. We change her diaper, try and feed her (in case she's hungry and usually she's not) carry her and rock her. She just doesn't stop crying and the whole time she cries (usually about 20 mins straight) she has her eyes closed the whole time, it's like she can't open them. We just moved to a new place around the time this started, but she has always had her own room. She is 10 months old now. Does anyone have any idea what this is? I know it's not an ear infection because she has her 9 month appt not that long ago..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:15 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I do not think its night terrors but it could be growing pains. My son would have night terrors. the moment i came in there and hugged him he was fine. same with my daughter. but when he does what you have described. it was his legs or something else hurting him. i usually give him a warm bath (a quick one) it helps relax what ever is having him in pain. than i cuddle him and put him back to bed once he is asleep.

good luck. I hope this helps.
    Irishrose2009

Answer by Irishrose2009 at 2:32 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Has she recently started pulling up to standing? Or started to show signs that she's about to walk or even taken a few steps? If so...that is probably what it is. Mine started this around this age and still does it when she is trying to master a new skill (crawling, walking, etc...even when she discovered and became obsessed with Elmo). If you're not doing her any good in the middle of the night (i.e. if you 're not calming her down) you might try leaving her alone for 15-20 minutes. 9 times out of 10, mine will calm down and go back to sleep on her own.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:29 PM on Sep. 24, 2009