what's it like to have kids about 3 years apart in age?

what is your experience with this age difference between your kids?

my son is 2 and my husband and i are going to start trying to get pregnant again soon we think. we also think that this would be our last child.

so we are guessing that if we don't have too much trouble getting pregnant, our kids will be 3-3.5 years apart. :)

Stefanie83

Asked by Stefanie83 at 2:16 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my dd turned 3 in july & i had my son in august, she LOVES him.. she's a good helper and dosen't get jealous too often, my dh and i make saturday her day though so she knows we still love her just as much as the baby (my mom keeps him) anyways i think it's a good age difference based on my experience... my dd is great with him
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:18 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• They'll be each others best friend and worst enemy. Depending on their mood. The older at times will say things like. That stupid baby is playing with my toys again. then turn around and give them their favorite one, because they're now too old for it. You'll find them sleeping in the same bed, because they just want someone to close to them that loves them. the little one will do things on purpose just to irritate the older one, then look all innocent. When they get in school they'll stay up all night the night before schools starts to talk about their fears and excitement. They can pick on each other but you not pick on their sibling or there will be hell to pay. Oh I could go on all day with this one.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 2:23 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I don't know...I had three IN three years! ROFL

I can say that my largest age difference (22 months) has been easier to deal with. But that's with MY kids.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:24 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I am 2 years and 11 months older then my younger brother.
    We were really good friends growing up. We played together all the time. We were close enough in age to like many of the same things, but still far enough in age that we weren't going through the same phases at the same times.
    We started to grow distant around the time that i hit puberty. I was no longer interested in his toys and games. I remember feeling guilty and making an attempt to play with him, even when i was not interested.
    When he was a freshman in high school i was a senior. That worked very well for us because i was able to keep an eye out on my brother. he was a target for bullies, but didn't have much to worry about because he knew i'd be there. :)
    ...i think about 3yrs apart is perfect!
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:26 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• My youngest 2 are 3 1/2 years apart (they are 3 1/2 and about to turn 7 now). It wasn't much different then my other kids. Not sure what it would be like with just the two of them. the 7yo always has her older siblings to play with. They kept each other entertained when the baby was little. Now the two of them play pretty good together because the 3yo is pretty mature for her age (hazard of trying to be a big kid like her older siblings) and the 7yo is a bit immature for her age (she acts more like she is 4 or 5). It all depends on the kids.
    My older 3, including the 7yo, were each a year apart so anything more then 2 years seems like a huge age gap to me, lol. (the older 3 have 15 months and 13 months between them).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:54 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• DH and I are planing on having another Next year...DD will be 4..and I think its great cause She loves babies! Anytime she gets around her Causin she wants to help with everything and its been like that since he was born! I used to watch him so she would want to help with feeding,changing, holding him...everything and I think since she is really good with babies she will like the new baby when it comes,but we will make a day for just her and since she will be in school next year she will have her time and then come home and While the baby naps and such she will have me and daddy time!!..
    bonham

Answer by bonham at 3:36 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• My kids are 2 yrs 11 months to the day apart, and its a perfect age gap IMO. My now 4 y.o. was very understanding of the pregnancy and when she came into the world, he was never once mean or jealous..he understood she was a baby and his little sister and he helped how he could (bringing me a diaper, taking a bottle to the sink,etc). Now, at 4 and 16 months, they are the best of friends and they also have their sibling fights of sharing and whatnot, but the good outweighs the bad...they are at a great age gap apart and I wouldnt have changed it either way.
    MamaBuggy

Answer by MamaBuggy at 5:32 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Ds and dd are 3 years apart. He loves her way too much. they roll around all over the floor together. When he starts to laugh shes giggling right after him. He gives her toys then steals them away. but gives her it right back. She has to know where her brother is at all times. He loves the fact that hes the big brother. Just include the little one in every part of the pregnancy well except for the TTC part lol! good luck!
    asistartomosh

Answer by asistartomosh at 1:26 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• I love it! All my kids are 3 years apart (almost exactly). 1, 4, 7, and 10. The 10 y.o. helps with the 4 y.o. and the 7 y.o. helps with the 1 y.o. (girls vs. boys LOL).
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 2:23 AM on Sep. 25, 2009

• blake is 3 and i just had his sister and the only word i have is STRESS!!!! he is very jelous of the attention i give his sister and is constantly acting out, he has regressed on his potty training and trys to hurt her. i am sure this is not all kids but most ppl i have talked to there has been some form of jelousy from their other child.
    monroemommyof2

Answer by monroemommyof2 at 8:28 AM on Sep. 25, 2009