have you ever heard that if your baby falls asleep on their own they will sleep through the night?

i always read this in the things i read while trying to figure out how to get my son to sleep through the night. that if the fall asleep on their own, they will sleep through the night sooner.

well my son didn't sleep through the night until SEVENTEEN months old. and he has been falling asleep on his own since he was just a couple months old. this isn't something we got him to do, he just has always done it! i would breastfeed him in the rocking chair, and put him down, he would coo a bit and smile and fall asleep after a few minutes!

and i thought, oh this is great, he will sleep through the night soon because he falls asleep on his own. WRONG! lol.

i'm just wondering if anyone else ever hears this piece of advice, if it has been true for anyone, or if i should start some sort of petition for "experts" to stop saying that.

:) just for fun ladies, please no bashing.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:20 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yeah my dd fell asleep on her own with me in the room but she didn't sleep all night until she was 3, she is waking up in the middle of the night AGAIN but i think it's b/c of the new baby
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:22 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Never heard it, but in thinking back, I do think it was true for us....

But as with anything else that is written about babies, THEY (the baby) never read the book telling them what they're supposed to do! LOL
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:22 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I have to rock my dd, whose 15 months, to sleep every night and I mean all the way asleep, if she is drowsy and I put her in her bed she will just play, but anyways she sleeps through the night just fine
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 2:27 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• It goes along with the concept of them "knowing" how to fall asleep...If they wake up, they know how to get themselves back to sleep on their own without needing a bottle, breast, or rocking. ~ Of course, every baby and/or momma is different!!!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 2:30 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• My kids all went to sleep by themselves and slept through the night (11-12 hours) by the time they were 2 1/2 months old.

Answer by missanc at 2:30 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Experts say all kinds of crazy things. **grin** There is NOTHING that can guarantee a baby sleeping dusk to dawn.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:49 PM on Sep. 25, 2009