My daughter turned 2 in june...and i know that she is ready to be potty trained..i just don't know how to go about it! any suggestions?!?!!

Brooke310

Asked by Brooke310 at 2:27 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well, some one suggested taking a couple of days and giving the kids all the fluids they want, and sitting them on the potty most of the day (like every 30 minutes until they pee) Giving them a book on the potty, singing. The sticker chart didn't really work for me. I think pull ups are a hinder.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:30 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• take her to pick out a potty chair and some big girl underwear and explain that only big girls get to wear big girl undies and you cant potty in them. skip over using pull ups except at night. IMO pull ups are a waste of time and money if using during the day cause if they have a accident then the pull up obsorbes like a diaper so defeats the purpose of them feeling wet and yucky. good luck and be patient.
    RykersMom04

Answer by RykersMom04 at 2:30 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Idea - so you don't have such the mess (cleaning up the floor) is to put on a pair of training panties (cloth ones) then put on a diaper (cause they are cheaper than pull ups) and then they will feel the complete yuckiness of being wet without you having to figure out where she peed or pooped on the floor at.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:36 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• take her to get her potty and her big girl underware and then you can also go to walmart and they have the plastic covers for underpants for training...i use them with my son and they dont leak anything out....we use pullups at night and for nap and thats it..the rest of the time he is in his big boy underware...it takes time and alot of patience....but id let her pick out her potty and her underware and then go over to the section where they have all the gerber clothes like the onesies and find the plastic covers....you can rinse them out and dry them with a towel every time she has an accident it just make it easier...and then you dont have to do the diaper over them like someone else suggested...a pack of 4 of the plastic covers is 5 dollars....
    cassie_1986

Answer by cassie_1986 at 2:44 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• also you can try a sticker chart and a reward system til she gets the hang of it and isnt havent any accidents during the day...
    cassie_1986

Answer by cassie_1986 at 2:45 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I would say from my own experiences wait another 3-6 months so you two won't be so stressed about the whole potty trainning thing. If you had a trainning potty at home now, just ask her to sit for fun and she will pee when she is ready to do so. I used to train my kids to poo in the potty first since we're home and they had regular schedule to poo. It's only my two cents.
    ocsosomom

Answer by ocsosomom at 3:02 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• It all depends on your child, but my mother-in-law put on a diaper over regular underwear (so my son would feel the yuckiness) when he was at her house, and just the fact that he had a diaper on made him not want to try to go on the potty. So I nixed the whole diaper thing and just dealt with the mess. For several days he just wore underwear, and if you're worried about the mess, you can try to keep her mostly in the kitchen where you can just wipe it off the floor. Lots of fluids, and if she gets really involved with something she won't remember to try on the potty, so encourage her to try frequently but don't push! My son kind of pushed back when I first tried (even though knew he COULD do it), but a month or so later he just decided he was ready and he's never relapsed since. He was 2 yrs. and 4 mo. old. Potty training is a power struggle, and your child WILL win this one. So save you both the stress and don't push!
    betheroo

Answer by betheroo at 3:38 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Oh, and the sticker chart didn't work for me either....praise and pride in himself was all that worked. Also, for several months my son would go on the potty whenever he felt like it (once or twice a day) and I didn't force him to do anything. So he was already familiar with the potty and not afraid of it once we really started to work on potty training.
    betheroo

Answer by betheroo at 3:42 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Question is are you sure she is fully ready or are you just ready for her to be potty trained? If she was ready it wouldn't be that hard to figure out how to go about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:47 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• yes i know she is ready..i'm asking because she is my first child and i've never done it before..No need to be an asshole. K Thanks!
    Brooke310

Answer by Brooke310 at 12:26 PM on Sep. 26, 2009