is 99.5 F considered fever in a 4 month old?

DD just got her shots yesterday, she is not fussy at all but she feels hot specially her head, could this be fever?

maryfer

Asked by maryfer at 2:29 PM on Sep. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• did u take it rectally? My doctor said that 99 is normal for a rectal temp. if its over 101 i would worry
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 2:31 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Yeah I agree. Definitely keep an eye on it but I think it's normal unless it's over 100 or 101 at which point you should give the baby some baby tylenol or motrin...good luck! My dd gets her 4 month shots on Monday :(
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 2:33 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• I wouldn't worry about it until it gets to 100....A little baby tylenol will help her feel better and bring down any small fever. It is probably warm at the injection site too, but that is normal. ~ Watch for a higher fever or a really red, raised bump at the "shot spot".
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 2:33 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• That is a very low grade fever, regardless of how it was taken. I wouldn't worry but you might want to give her a little tylenol to make her more comfortable and to help avoid a fever spike.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:34 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• It depends. Does she seem very fuzzy and uncomfortable? If she was crying and fuzzy then you should just give her a dose of fever relief. If she was fine then just give her more milk, juice or water than she usually have or give her a cool bath. It's only last a day or two.
    ocsosomom

Answer by ocsosomom at 2:54 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• How did you take it? My doc always said rectal temps are a degree higher than the real temp. IF it goes higher I'd give baby motrin or tylenol whichever you are most comfortable with.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:46 PM on Sep. 24, 2009

• Depends on how you took it. If it's a rectal temp then it's normal... a rectal temp SHOULD be in the 99 range... anywhere from 98.6-99.9 would be a normal rectal temp with 100.5 being a slight temp.
    If it's an under arm temp then it's a low grade fever but not worrisome.
    I wouldn't give any Tylenol for a temp this low... you'll want to know if it goes higher and you won't be able to tell if you mask it with medications
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:40 PM on Sep. 24, 2009